How fast do zoos and mushrooms grow?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

ricsreef

AC Members
Jun 22, 2007
Louisville,Ky
Hi Traci,Under perfect conditions they would probably double in a years time.BUT,having perfect conditions,and maintaining perfect conditions is very hard to do.I'm not saying it can't be done!As long as you stay on top of it.THEY SHOULD DO VERY WELL.I have had a saltwater tank for over 15 yrs.Just recently really getting serious about keeping corals and such.there are some people on this site that can help you ALOT more than me.Keep checking back.Good luck and I wish you a healthy reef system,Rick

fsn77

AC Moderators
Staff member
Feb 22, 2006
SC
Honestly, it depends on exactly what kind of zoas and mushrooms you have. With some zoas, you'll get a few new polyps every 1 - 2 weeks, while other types multiply more slowly (on the order of a new polyp every 2 - 4 months). As for mushrooms, I have some rics that put out a new one every couple of weeks, but some blue mushrooms that split / reproduce by about one new shroom every month to 6 weeks.

Catpicklesdog

Hindsight is a wonderful thing!
Feb 25, 2007
Telford, UK
Real Name
Alison
I'd say about every few weeks. Whilst moving my tank over to a new one I've noticed loads of polyps attached to rocks that i didn't put in and I've only had that set of polyps since April. I have flat green/brown mushrooms and they multiply like weeds!

NapoliNewJersey

-=o=-l-=o=-l-=o=-l-=o=
Mar 14, 2007
web.mac.com
Take this rule in mind... the ones you want to grow fast won't and the ones you don't do ... just kidding ....

I think what FSN and rics said was perfect ... it all depends on the type of mushroom and zoa .. and then depending on the conditions of your light and water.

I just had a purple zoa rock on the bottom of my tank for a month now and i thought to rearange them and moved them higher toward the light ... they already covered the rock in the week Ive had them closer to the light where down at the bottom they seemed to stay the same. I'm about to add some small rocks around them so they can spread and I can trade them at my NJRC meeting.

Gildurath

AC Members
May 12, 2007
Thunder Bay, Ontario
My mushrooms are growing like weeds. I have read they like bad lighting. So it may be my bulb needs to be changed, and then they may slow down. I have purple, blue, and some green spotted shrooms. They all hate being up near the light, and they are propogating all over, and appearing down in ever dark nook and cranny I have.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store