Newbie Tank setup help..

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

06scoob

AC Members
Jun 23, 2007
Hello, new SW newbie here :help:
needing some insight from some of you Guru's

I've done tons of reading and hours of being yelled at by my wife, for sitting in front of the computer, but anyhow. I wanted to get a direct opinion on my situation because you can never find that one thread that fits exactly to your situation.

I went fish tank shopping at the local fish store (LFS? is that what that stands for?). Ending up buying a Used 90 Gallon with stand lid light wet dry filter and pump. Apon recomendation from the store I also bought 4 bags of Live sand (LS?) and what ive seem to find out is a Speed Cycler?

Came home set the tank up poured in the live sand, filled with water, turned on pump, added salt over an hour, added "Prime" (the additave i got from the shop), slowly 1 cap full every 10 minutes.

left the pump on since then and this is what i had yesterday after i had done everything.

Today I went back to the store and got 15 pounds of live rock.

First Question.

Cured Live Rock vs Uncured Live Rock : What is the difference.? They just specified Live rock 5.99/lb at the store and recomended (do to my budget) at least 15 pounds of rock to start. The rock i bought had different colors on it and pieces of grass/slimy crap on it (bacteria i presume) all over it. One piece of coral that was stuck to a piece of Rock actually has an Invertabrate in it that is still alive (got me stoked).

I put the rock in the tank today and let the filter/pump run since i set the tank up yesterday. Here it is now.

Question 2 : Is my cycle already going with the rock/sand i already have.?

I plan on getting my Tester kit tommorow to see where my NH3 NO2 NO3 levels are at to see where i sit now.

If anyone can suggest or comment on anything ive done so far please do. I hope by using the "prime" i didnt screw up anything to bad, and if so can anyone suggest anything i can do to reverse the effects.

rsw686

AC Members
Feb 27, 2007
Virginia
Well you can't change this now, but I wouldn't of put live sand in and then put in freshwater and mixed the salt. I would think that would affect whatever is live in the sand.

Second did you just fill with tap water? If so you really should test your tap water when you get the test kits. If your tap water contains high nitrate, ammonia, phosphate, you will have a hard time getting those levels low as with every water change your putting in more. I recommend investing in an RO/DI filter.

Look on craigslist.com for live rock. I found a guy locally selling rock out of his established aquarium for $3 a pound. Cheaper than any of the stores and you don't have to worry about cycling it since its already in an established tank.

Otherwise if you buy the cured rock it will probably only have a slight spike as long as you get it home fast so theres not much die off. Uncured rock will take weeks to cycle as the bacteria has to multiply.

As a rule of thumb you want atleast 1 pound of rock per gallon of water. So you need alot more. Your better off getting most of it upfront so you don't have issues with an ammonia spike adding it later with livestock in the tank.

06scoob

AC Members
Jun 23, 2007
I dont plan on adding any livestock to the tank for at LEAST a month, with the purchase of the tank I could only afford 15 lbs right now, but plan on at least tripling that amount before i thought about adding the fish.

I added Hose water (tap/city) on top of the sand and then immediatly added salt. Then added "Prime". the bottle says..

Removes Chlorine, Chloramine, Ammonia.
Detoxifies Nitrate and Nitrate
and provides Slime Coat

I'm picking up a test kit tomorrow ASAP, it being sunday they open at noon my time. Ill post results of the tests for opinions as soon as I get them. I do However have a Hydrometer and it shows a SG of 1.025 and Salinity of 33 if that helps/matters. TIA

Could you or someone clarify weather or not I bought Cured or Uncured LR and what the difference is? sorry search function couldnt give me a litteral definition.

-Zack

SHK_ATK

Clam Chowda
Nov 4, 2006
(805)-CA (336)-NC
welcome to the saltyside. I would stop using tap water (assuming thats what you started out with) and buy ro/di water or get an ro/di unit for your tap water and use that instead of regular old tap. Phosphates and unwanted chemicals tend to be in tap water thus making algae bloom or leaching things like copper thus killing LR,LS, fish,inverts,coral Very bad stuff. Prime is an exellent product that I use for removing things like clorine, cloromines, and ammonia from tap water it even adds a slime coat (**** running out of the stuff) That does nothing but help the water column so you did good adding prime you could of just added two capfulls and not had to wait 10 min, As far as LR goes Cured LR is a lot better then uncured due to the fact that there is bacteria already established on it and it seeds things like baserock and sand making LS, buying "ls" is a waste in my opinion as the sand in the tank will eventually become LS the 15# you put in will start your cycle as there is always die off from the LR put into a new tank. Try getting LR that is covered in coraline algae or LR that has good size if you can pick your own dot it. Here is a pic of what LR is suppost to look like you can even order from these guys.

This is Indonesia LR.

06scoob

AC Members
Jun 23, 2007
Thanks for the reply, I added actually 6 cap fulls of Prime as what the shop suggested with a Month of time before i even think of adding any livestock. The reason i decided to use tap water as the initial fill was because mainly the budget. I already have 4 Jugs marked Water only for RO water for whenever i need it. So Next step would be getting a test kit, and more live rock ASAP. Any links for live rock FS? thanks!

Just to Clarify, the Rock i purchased does have color on it. Areas of Pink and Green, in the last picture you can see something living in a piece of coral that i picked out also. Does that classify my rock is cured or uncured.

arpy

AC Members
Jun 2, 2007
Chesterton, IN
SHK_ATK, is that how the rock looked when you got it? Where did you get it? It looks great... much better than what I got locally.

THEJRC

Third String Messiah?
Hello, new SW newbie here :help:
needing some insight from some of you Guru's
somewhat a reef newb here too but these guys have helped a lot, here goes...
Came home set the tank up poured in the live sand, filled with water, turned on pump, added salt over an hour, added "Prime" (the additave i got from the shop), slowly 1 cap full every 10 minutes.
woulda pre mixed saltwater to keep from killing the live sand but good start from the sounds of it

Cured Live Rock vs Uncured Live Rock : What is the difference.?
uncured is typically fresh out of shipment, they ship in wet newspaper typically and the rock is full of both live and dead things, you need to give uncured a while to cycle and establish new live thingies. Cured typically sits in a tank at the LFS with flow and what have you along with other peices of live rock, since it's been cycling it's had more of a chance to leech the death off as well as get new live stuff from the surrounding rock and water. Some LFS cure with light and such so coralline algae is promoted. If you have time and patience, uncured is fine and seeding with a peice or two of cured doesnt hurt (I went 50/50).

Question 2 : Is my cycle already going with the rock/sand i already have.?
cycle will have been started but no way of telling where you are without testing. The rock looks good and it looks as though you got yourself a free coral (frogspawn perhaps?) as well!

from another newbie perspective I can point out the hot points that had me changing my tank here and there during setup, perhaps it will help you speed up your learning curve!

* Lighting, if you want corals clams or anemone pay attention to this one early on

* Calcium try to keep below 440 otherwise you risk precipitation, unless your testing calc and alk constantly and adjusting in a moments notice go real slow with any additives you may want to add to encourage coral and coralline algae growth, if you use a good salt with trace elements and such added you dont need to add so much other junk, the more established your tank gets over time the more impossible it gets to backtrack changes!

* everything should be done super slow, otherwise extra time, money, and stress is always spent..

* refugiums rock, I run a sump refugium and a canister filter. I removed the bio media and carbon from the canister and doubled up on foam as well as a phosphate remover. So long as I clean it every other week on schedule as I always have with my FW and brackish tanks I have no problems with it. If your tank is not plumbed for a sump you can do a hang on overflow or one of the aquafuge units (started with the aquafuge on my 20L, it did a decent job). .... in edit I see the sump at the back of the tank, and of course wet dry.... throw some chaetomorpha in there and your set!

* Never assume your tank is cycled the same day you get your first 0 ammo 0 trite whatever trate reading.... make sure ammo and nitrite stay at 0 for at least a few days or more! During cycling definately do water changes, try to keep the ammo around .25 and not much higher too much ammo can hinder the process and lengthen your cycle time.

* Get tests for phosphate, alkalinity, and calcium! dont worry about testing every day but do test often at first. I went from daily tests to now weekly on all but calcium. I test twice weekly as I am still adjusting my dosing schedules.

* Pay close attention to water flow, especially if your going for corals and a lot of coralline algae. Dosing something such as purple up will provide a nice tank cloud that you can watch to see where currents are and where they arent. You're going to want a powerhead or three!

* RO/DI water is one of the best things since sliced bread

* Salt creep is the work of the devil

Last edited:

Grins

Girl Reefer...we do exist
May 1, 2007
Charlotte, NC
Could you or someone clarify weather or not I bought Cured or Uncured LR and what the difference is? sorry search function couldnt give me a litteral definition.

-Zack
You'll be able to tell that better than us actually. Uncured means they didn't clean off any die off and you probably have a bad smell versus a saltwater smell.

06scoob

AC Members
Jun 23, 2007
JRC thanks for the detailed reply.

Im going to get a handful of tests today.

As far as lighting. Im not going to start with corals or anenome yet. So i would presume ill have a FOWLR setup correct? and dont need a MH or Powercompact light, for i am trying to keep costs down somewhat. As far as additives and such go, im just gonna take my time and try to do things as naturally as i can.

Could you possibly give me an insight on easiest ways to do water changes. while the filter is running. And whats the stuff you said i needed to add to my Wet/Dry filter. I'm also gonna get some RO water today also from the LFS.

TIA!

Zack

SigPiPup

AC Members
May 1, 2007
Michigan
During cycling definately do water changes, try to keep the ammo around .25 and not much higher too much ammo can hinder the process and lengthen your cycle time.

I always thought that doing water changes during the cycle prolonged the cycling process. It was my understanding that the initial water change was to be done after the cycling process was completed in order to reduce the resulting concentration of NitrATES.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store