African Health Issues...Need some insight

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

morleyz

This space for rent
Sep 26, 2002
Illinois
www.allaquatic.com
A Quick History:
150G
Amm/Nitrite - 0
Nitrate - ~15
pH - 8.2
Temp - 80F

Tank has been setup since early October and was fishless cycled. Added first fish 11/2.

Current stock
7 - Aulonocara Hanbaenschi
5 - Maylandia Esterae
1 - Nimbochromis Venustus
4 - Bristlenose Plecos

Yesterday, I noticed one of the zebras had a 1/8 white spot on his side, just above the anal fin. Tonight I finally got a chance to sit down and observe the tank for an hour or so. Things I've noticed.

a. Infrequent, but noticeable flashing amonst all africans
b. Both Male zebras (2) have white spots (skin is white, not something on skin) on both right and left sides. There were a few loose scales. No other fish have any noticeable skin damage.

Things that have changed this week:
a. Added the 4 plecos
b. Both Male Zebras have had significant color changes. Their fins have turned a light blue, which I assume is going to be their adult color.
c. Both Male Zebras have stepped up their agression towards the females and seem to be interested in breeding. Made me wonder if white spots might not just be agressive damage.
d. Did 30% water change tonight, same as every Saturday.

Anything you would do right off the bat? I can't seem to find anything that matches all the symptoms, however, the flashing behavior has me concerned about some sort of parasite. How long would you "observe" before taking medical or chemical action?

Thanks...

Tiger15

AC Members
Jan 20, 1999
New Jersey
shirley.stormloader.com
First, you have to confirm that it is Ich. A sporadic flashing isn't necessarily Ich because fish do flash occasionally for many reasons and a few white spots may not be ich. If the flashing increases and you observe more spots, then you should treat the fish promptly. Ich can be cured rather easily but it ought to be treated early to prevent secondary bacterial infection which is much harder to treat and could be fatal. Treat the entire tank if it is Ich. You will hear many opinions on what is the best remedy but my choice is Malachite Green (aka Victorian Green, Benzaldehide Green) sold under many brand names such as SuperIch Cure, Marcide . . . etc. Use full dosage as instructed and don't hold back or cut short the treatment becasue it can create resistant strains. I will avoid copper or Formaline based treatement. The former is hard to remove after treatment and expired Formaline can form highly toxic precipitate. Salt will work too but you have to know the right dosage and it works too slowlyto worth the effort in light of much more powerful commercial remedy.

Barbie

Fishaholic
African cichlids flash periodically. Its been associated with territorial behavior and excitement from the males, so definitely don't panic. The color changes are also easily explained if you're seeing aggression. I doubt you're going to be able to keep both male zebras in the tank, but with the size of it, you might get lucky. You just never know. In my experience, they'll keep at each other until they've managed to become "the ONE". Good luck, hope that helps.

Barbie

morleyz

This space for rent
Sep 26, 2002
Illinois
www.allaquatic.com
Tiger - I'm 98% sure it's not Ich...I've experience ich before and this isn't like it.

Barbie...thanks for the info. I figured I'd only have 1 male eventually. I just didn't know the sexes until now. Sounds like my suspicion of agressive damage is probably more on mark, but it's good to know that flashing is a normal behavior sometimes...it seems like no one ever mentions that in everything I've been reading. I'll just keep my eye out to see if their behavior changes, and I'm adding some more "territories" to see if I can't help out...if not, I'll find a new home for boy # 2

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store