Question about DIY rocks

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

psariandras

AC Members
May 18, 2007
I am going to attempt to create some rocks using the quick lite hydralic cement method as I read about in another forum, I might create a wall on the back of my tank.

I think I am going to use some combination of hydralic cement/CC/argonite sand depending on the use of the rock. According to antother thread(which seems very reputable) it will not need to be cured.

I have a few ideas about how I am going to set it up, but I have two questions and would like to hear about others experiances using this method.

1) Should I keep DIY live rock in a particular ratio to real LR to ensure proper potential for fitration and can this be offset by creating the DIY rock a certain way(sure as increasing it porosity).

2)are there any particular reasons not to have a Created rock backing on the tank other than aesthetics?

Thanks for any advice. :):)

jojo22

Salt-aholic Xtreme
Sep 21, 2006
Mix in different sizes of rock salt, it will melt as your rock cures giving you nice little nooks and crannies. Other than that yes cure the rock as it will push your ph sky high in a matter of minutes if you don't. I wouldn't mix it more than 50/50 with real LR.

legendaryfrog

Tactical Refreshment Action
Nov 25, 2006
arlington heights - hoffman estates, IL
IMO, using anything but concrete and rock salt makes the live rock look very fake looking, especially aragonite sand.

psariandras

AC Members
May 18, 2007
In a thread I was reading, a fellow stated that by using a certain type of concrete called something like "light hydralic cement" that was polymer based(I think), one would not have to cure the rock.

In the thread the gentleman stated using the cement to make reef backs for tanks and adding them right then to the tank without any curing. he said something about that using portland cement is necessary to cure but with the polymer based type curing wouldn't be necessary. He seemed to be knowledgeable about it, I was lead to the thread on another forum from a post on this forum.

Do you mean epson salt? is that rock salt?

have you heard of using pasta or other things to increase porosity?

jojo22

Salt-aholic Xtreme
Sep 21, 2006
You can use pasta, I use salt for your driveway in the winter (make sure it's just salt with no extras) I also use water softner salt to make larger holes.

psariandras

AC Members
May 18, 2007
In the long run, will optimal DIY rock have comparable filtration capacity as premium from the LFS?

jojo22

Salt-aholic Xtreme
Sep 21, 2006
IMO no, but there will also be those who swear it will. My thinking is that it takes many years and many more bugs/creatures digging timy tunnels and crevices to create real rock, to think you can produce the same would be just plain silly.

bethkira2000

AC Members
Jan 5, 2007
Maine
We are starting to think seriously, and researching a saltwater tank. I live next to the atlantic ocean, and my question is this, can I take rocks out of th ocean, just small pieces and put them into a tank, and let them "seed" dead rock? I know that taking rocks out of the ocean is not enviormantally friendly, but I was just wondering if it was possible. And I live in the cooler region of the Atlantic.

ricsreef

AC Members
Jun 22, 2007
Louisville,Ky
It's not only unfriendly to the environment.It's against the law in the states and many other countries.Thats why all the rock you see for sale anymore "says" it is aquacultured.I know people get away with it,but if you get caught,it's a very high fine.IMO you should just buy a little at a time from a reputable source,and leave the rock you want to take where it's at.If everyone started taking there own "natural" rock out of the ocean,our reefs would be in bad shape.One of the rewards of living next to the ocean is you should be able to buy some good aquacultured rock pretty cheap at the LFS.

bethkira2000

AC Members
Jan 5, 2007
Maine
thank you, I think I can. Do you happen to know if you can have a cold water salt tank? I read somewhere that you can have cold water about forty degrees but I son't have the first clue how to do it.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store