A question about live rock.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

psariandras

AC Members
May 18, 2007
I have read several articles on live rock; however, I must admit I am still confused on a few things. I believe I have recieved misinformation from the LFS among others.

I am planning on using a large quanity of DIY rock and less than premium rock. My tank is standard 55.

My research has lead me to believe that it seems the DIY might not become as "live" because it will not be as porous as natural "live" rock.

If I use "dead" or "base" rock from the LFS, will this rock eventually become as "Live" as the "live rock?" I am wondering this b/c if it will I may buy a small quanity of live rock from the LFS, perhaps mostly rubble, and let it seed the rest.

In order to minimize cost, I was considering 40% DIY rock, 30% cheap rock such as tufa rock or the base rock at the LFS, 20% rubble and 10% "premium from the LFS or the net.
I do not know if this is a good idea b/c I don't want to wait a year for the "dead" rock to become seeded.
I am under the assumption that given enough time all the rock(excluding the DIY to some degree) will become as "live" as the premium.
I do not know how long it would take for the non-living rock to become seeded given my planned porportions.If the process of "non-living" rock becoming "live" does not take a long time, I would just buy rubble and let it seed the rest.
It is my hope that someone can advise me as to what would be best in my situation or point out any flaws in my reasoning.
:) Thanks in advance for any help :)

Catpicklesdog

Hindsight is a wonderful thing!
Feb 25, 2007
Telford, UK
Real Name
Alison
With your proportions suggested it will take ages for your rock to become live. The best way is to have a higher ratio of live to dead. The advantage of having live, dead, ocean rock is also for it's natural filtration benefits.

Like Grins said try Craigslist or Ebay. I've had some stunning rock from Ebay.

Reefscape

I shoot people with a Canon
Staff member
Nov 8, 2006
Staffordshire, UK
seethroughmylens.co.uk
Real Name
Blinky
I have read several articles on live rock; however, I must admit I am still confused on a few things. I believe I have recieved misinformation from the LFS among others.

I am planning on using a large quanity of DIY rock and less than premium rock. My tank is standard 55.

My research has lead me to believe that it seems the DIY might not become as "live" because it will not be as porous as natural "live" rock.

If I use "dead" or "base" rock from the LFS, will this rock eventually become as "Live" as the "live rock?" I am wondering this b/c if it will I may buy a small quanity of live rock from the LFS, perhaps mostly rubble, and let it seed the rest.

In order to minimize cost, I was considering 40% DIY rock, 30% cheap rock such as tufa rock or the base rock at the LFS, 20% rubble and 10% "premium from the LFS or the net.
I do not know if this is a good idea b/c I don't want to wait a year for the "dead" rock to become seeded.
I am under the assumption that given enough time all the rock(excluding the DIY to some degree) will become as "live" as the premium.
I do not know how long it would take for the non-living rock to become seeded given my planned porportions.If the process of "non-living" rock becoming "live" does not take a long time, I would just buy rubble and let it seed the rest.
It is my hope that someone can advise me as to what would be best in my situation or point out any flaws in my reasoning.
:) Thanks in advance for any help :)
DIY live rock, done well, will become just as live as the normal live rock that we buy in the stores. However, the trial and error factor of DIY rock is something that has to be concidered. Done incorrectly can cause a tank crash in a very short period of time.

DIY live rock should be treated the same as base dead rock, and that includes the time frame involved in this rock becoming live to a certain level to be effectivly used as filtration. So, the same time frames are involved, I.E anywhere up to a year for it to become fully live. When ratio's of dead rock to live rock are concidered, i would not recomend anything other than 60% normal live rock, to 40% dead. If a higher ratio of dead rock is to be used, then supplimental filtration will need to be added to the system in the form of cannister filtration as we need to provide adequate filtration while the dead rock gets seeded...

This is of course just my opinion...

Niko

Didaka

AC Members
Jun 17, 2007
hmmm was wondering the same thing. Just bought 12kg of white base rock, and have about 20-25kg of live rock in my tank. Hoping it will take off within a year.

Does anybody know much about the white rock. Does it take longer to cure??

Didaka

AC Members
Jun 17, 2007
not sure. I limestone white with a blackish inside????

Some of it is a little bit greenish also

Last edited:

Germanman

My fish are my babies
personally i wouldnt ever recommend going below 65% live rock...but like there others said it will take long but dead will become live, bacteria boosters may help as well...thing is the tank will take much longer(years) to mature. in saltwater tanks one of the most important things is the live rock...but then again i have seen reef built on dead coral and rock pieces alone.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store