Another Tank Idea

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

OgreMkV

Father of Earth's Next Emperor
Apr 26, 2007
Port Arthur, TX
ogremkv.wordpress.com
OK, so cichlids are out. Too much trouble with the salts, temperament, and cost. So my wife and I are checking the resources and she sees a tank that she really likes.

It was a 30g tank with two angels and 2 blue spot gouramis.

After some research... she still wants a 46g bowfront, which I believe will be tall enough for full size angels. But my research seems to indicate that non-dwarf gouramis and angelfish are not very compatible.

What do you guys think?

We were thinking 1-3 angels and 5-7 of various gouramis with a few catfish later on.

mellowvision

Seafood Lover
May 17, 2007
Brooklyn NY
www.mellowvision.com
Real Name
Bill Brissette
I have no experience with either, so feel free to ignore my input! :) but from everything I've read, angels seem like a pain in terms of stocking. they are large and many fish like to nibble on them... I would center it around the Goarmis, maybe create an environment that is perfect for them to breed, and get a school of smaller fish to compliment. more little fish is way more entertaining than 2 big fish that don't do much.

Firebelly__girl

AC Members
Apr 29, 2007
They both can tend to be agressive, so I would do either or. I personally, for the 46, i would get 2 angels, a few cory catfish, maybe a few little non-nip tetras? But not sure on what kinda tetras, but the corys and angelfish should be fine =)

dent20

AC Members
Jun 4, 2007
Davenport, IA
They both can tend to be agressive, so I would do either or. I personally, for the 46, i would get 2 angels, a few cory catfish, maybe a few little non-nip tetras? But not sure on what kinda tetras, but the corys and angelfish should be fine =)
I'm pretty sure Gouramis are difficult to breed. If you stick to your hardier gouramis they're fun, but I found some of the smaller dwarf gouramis very frustrating as they're hard to keep alive. The blue, gold, pearl, and lavender were all fun to keep when I had them.

Windy

AC Members
May 30, 2007
Theed Palace on Naboo
Real Name
Lazaro
Make sure you keep away from those chocolate gouramis. They are extremely delicate and are highly prone to illnesses. Gouramis and Angels..not a good mix. They are both aggressive fish.

severum mama

is a big bowl of wrong.
Dec 30, 2006
North GA
Here's what I would do:
Leave the gouramis out of the mix if you want angels.
Start with 4-5 small angels and wait for a pair. You'll know when it happens because all hell will break loose. Return all angels other than the pair to the LFS.
Some good tank mates for angels are corys, GBRs, Bolivian rams, or apistogramma, most tetras or rasboras that are larger than neons... but choose carefully to avoid fin nippers like Buenos Aires, black/white skirt, red and blue columbian, serpae, etc.

I'd do a pair of angels with a pair or trio of apistos, and 8-10 tetras. I'd probably choose rummynose for the tetras, but that's just me. They do get larger than neons, so if an angel grows up with them it should still work.

You can substitute a pair or trio of gouramis for the angels and keep the same stock list.

JMO.

OgreMkV

Father of Earth's Next Emperor
Apr 26, 2007
Port Arthur, TX
ogremkv.wordpress.com
Well, I think we'll nix the angels. My wife prefers the gouramis and angels are pretty expensive.

What is a lavender gourami? I must get them for the missus if they're really lavender.

Nolapete

Monster Tank Builder
May 29, 2007
New Orleans, LA
I'm pretty sure Gouramis are difficult to breed. If you stick to your hardier gouramis they're fun, but I found some of the smaller dwarf gouramis very frustrating as they're hard to keep alive. The blue, gold, pearl, and lavender were all fun to keep when I had them.
Gouramis, other than giants, chocolates, and kissers are easy to breed. Pretty much the same as bettas. Shallow water in a covered tank about 80-82 degrees with no disturbance is about all it takes. Keep your pair separated while fattening them up. If you want more info, let me know. I've bred pearls, dwarfs, honeys, thick-lipped, moonlight, and 3-spots.

Nolapete

Monster Tank Builder
May 29, 2007
New Orleans, LA
Well, I think we'll nix the angels. My wife prefers the gouramis and angels are pretty expensive.

What is a lavender gourami? I must get them for the missus if they're really lavender.
Lavenders are just another color strain of 3-spots (blues/golds/opalines/platinums/etc.)

I've never had any problems keeping angels together with gouramis. Start with small fish and raise them together and you'll have no problem. When people try to put adult gouramis and angels together is where they have trouble with nipping. It's just like if you raise angels and neons/cardinals together. Angels won't eat them if raised with them, but put in a tank with them having never lived together they'll gobble them up.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store