Brackish tank filtration?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

adstudio3d

AC Members
Jun 8, 2007
I just picked up a 55gallon I'm using for a brackish tank. I will be upgrading to a 90 gallon not far down the road though.

I wanted to know a few good filter options for a brackish tank. Something that I can use in this tank and in the 90 gallon, or add on a 2nd filter for the 90 gallon.

I don't really want to spend a lot of money, but it does need to be silent and work good. Are used filters a good idea?

I may decide in the future to use live plants but for now I'm not concerned with that.

Pufferpunk

AC Members
Mar 22, 2002
Chicago
www.thepufferforum.com
Real Name
Jeni
Same filtration as a FW tank. On my 55g I prefer an Aquaclear 500 & an Eheim 2213. My 90g has 2x AQ 500 & an Eheim 2217.

Ruben Tolon

last of a dying breed
Aug 20, 2000
Miami, FL
The aquaclears are a very good choice, as are the Marineland HOB's. I personally don't use canister filters anymore, but I used to like Fluval.

adstudio3d

AC Members
Jun 8, 2007
I read somewhere that biowheels are better for brackish tanks, so I was wondering which would be the better choice,
Aquaclear 110, or the Magnum 350 pro system.

I'm thinking that the magnum would have a better biological filter, but only a couple people recommended them as opposed to the AC110. I don't want to buy a filter that is going to break a year from now and waste more money.

dixienut

AC Members
Jun 15, 2006
Hookstown/Georgetown area pennsylvania
350 mag are very reliable and never seem to break,.. they on occasion need a new impeller.. as i have bought them used and didn't recieve one but who knows the abuse others have given them.. but for me they never need anything other than cleaned..

Pufferpunk

AC Members
Mar 22, 2002
Chicago
www.thepufferforum.com
Real Name
Jeni
BioWheels will spray salt over everything.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store