Gourami - Hole in Head?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

perdita

AC Members
Apr 30, 2007
I bought a Dwarf Gourami about 3 weeks ago.

It has had an ulcer above the gill plate four nealy three weeks.

The lesion has evolved into a non-progressive spot that actually exposes a vein that goes through the fish's head.

My fish in the tank are now getting more varied diets, yet the gourami is thin and is not thriving -- paradise fish and female betta are thriving.

ETA: Tankmates: 30 gallon planted tank:
Pictus
4 juvenile mollies
2 adult mollies
2 balloon mollies
4 platies
1 female betta
1 paradise fish
1 dwarf gourami

DaisyTattoo

AC Members
Jan 11, 2006
Illinois
Can you get a pic? Have you tested your water for nitrIte, nitrAte, and ammonia? How often do you do water changes and how much?

~Kswords~

AC Members
Jun 28, 2007
USA
Do you feed Beefheart frozen cubes often?

legendaryfrog

Tactical Refreshment Action
Nov 25, 2006
arlington heights - hoffman estates, IL
hole in the head disease occurs when fish have too much meat in their diets. Unless you have been strictly feeding carnivore foods, your gourami doesnt have HITH disease.

GoldLenny

Senior Member? Do I get a 5% disc.?

wataugachicken

The Dancing Banana
Jul 14, 2005
Charlotte, NC
why is this in the Coldwater section? gouramis are tropical. could this be part of the problem?

GoldLenny

Senior Member? Do I get a 5% disc.?
Good catch Wataugachicken. I visit so many forums, I rarely look at the "title" of the forum. LOL This should be moved to the... I was going to say the emergency or disease forum but I just checked the main forum list and there is no emergency or disease forum so I guess it should be in the General FW forum.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store