Mid-cycle question.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

06scoob

AC Members
Jun 23, 2007
My tank about a week into its cycle ive been testing daily.

Question is, my SG, i tested the water yesterday before i added pH buffer. it was 1.025ish before i added the buffer i checked it about 2 hours later. and it was 1.31. Waited another few hours to it was down to 1.25.

Did my test today. back up to 1.31 but today i havent added anything and dont plan on it.

Ammonia - 1.5 mg/l
Nitrite - 3.3+ mg/l
pH 7.7-7.9

and is there a conversion to go from mg/l -> ppm?

fsn77

AC Moderators
Staff member
Feb 22, 2006
SC
mg/L = ppm

What are you using to measure your SG? Is it a swing arm hydrometer or a refractometer? If it's a swing arm hydrometer, be certain there are no air bubbles on the arm. If it's a refractometer, you may want to check and see if it needs calibrated. If your SG really is 1.031, you should try to slowly bring it back down to 1.024 - 1.026, which is a more acceptable range.

Adding a modest amount pH buffer alone should not cause a big swing in SG like that. Are you experiencing a lot of evaporation and topping off with fw to make up for it? While cycling, I wouldn't be so concerned about maintaining a pH around 8.3. Between the high amount ammonia and organic acids being produced while cycling, pH is bound to drop below the recommended level. I'd save your buffer (and your money) and start focusing on keeping pH in range more once the cycle is near completion.

06scoob

AC Members
Jun 23, 2007
pH was around 7.5 ish, i mentioned that the LFS and they said i would need some pH buffer and that it wouldnt hurt.

Im using a swingarm Hydrometer, let me check for air bubbles.. i think there might have been some on there -_-

EDIT: i checked it again, there was air on the arm, any tricks to getting all the bubbles off? i got a few off by flicking it and it dropped to 1.027 but there was a few small ones left on the arm.

06scoob

AC Members
Jun 23, 2007
i threw the label away to use the jug for RO water when needed, but it was a large blue jug that held 90 gallons worth? Im headed to the LFS for some more liverock today i think, ill check then

Catpicklesdog

Hindsight is a wonderful thing!
Feb 25, 2007
Telford, UK
Real Name
Alison
I'd also think about getting a refractometer. I received a freebie swing arm hydrometer and thought I'd put it in my sump just to see what it would read and thought it would give me an indication. The hydrometer started reading at 1.031 so I used my refractometer which showed 1.025. A few hours later I noticed the hydrometer had dropped to 1.020 so I used my refractometer which showed 1.025!!!

I know which I trust more!!!!

06scoob

AC Members
Jun 23, 2007
thanks for the advice ill check em out today

5xevy

Member #62,749
Jan 3, 2007
Upstate, NY
What kind of test kit are you using for the pH? I also recommend a refractometer. Temperature will affect your spg. What is your temp reading? Lighting will affect your pH so if you test your pH at night (with no lights on for the tank or refugium if you have one) it would be lower than if you tested your pH with your tank lights on.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store