Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Usergroup
    AC Members
    Last Activity
    09-21-2010 7:01 PM

injured banggai cardinal

I got two Banggai Cardinals for my tank on Sunday.

One of the Cardinals has an injuried fin. I never saw it at the store or in the bag so I don't know where it came from. His right fin is slighty red and fleshy at the point it meets his body. He has not used it to swim, he's only using his other fin. He's eating well and seems to be getting around good... Hopefully he'll pull through. I'm just going to feed him good food and watch his progress.

Any other ideas?
    30 Gallon SW: 1 Firefish, 1 Yellow Watchman Goby, 1 Naked Clown, 1 Filmented Flasher Wrasse, 1 Hector's Goby, 1 Cleaner Shrimp, various crabs, 17 different types of soft corals.
    55 Gallon FW: 2 large Silver Dollars, 3 Australian Rainbow, 1 Bosemani Rainbow, 1 Turquoise Rainbow, 1 King Tiger Pleco, 1 Blue Lobster, Farlawella Cat, Apisto Borelli.
    10 Gallon Planted FW:2 Apistogramma Double Red Cockatoos, 3 SilverTip Tetras, 3 Von Rio Tetras, 3 Amano Shrimp.

Normal people scare me magakitty's Avatar
    Usergroup
    AC Members
    Last Activity
    02-13-2008 3:03 AM
    Melafix and Pimafix
    Normal is a setting on a dryer

tanks: 5, 20, 37, 55, 55, 125 - plus 10g QT

Usergroup
    AC Members
    Last Activity
    Quote Originally Posted by magakitty View Post
    Melafix and Pimafix
    I'm always hesitant to put anything in my tank that's not natural like medications....

Melafix looks like it would be the better choice of the two. It says its safe to inverts.

Anyone have experience? I have featherdusters, snails, a sun coral, shrimp, lots of inverts....
    30 Gallon SW: 1 Firefish, 1 Yellow Watchman Goby, 1 Naked Clown, 1 Filmented Flasher Wrasse, 1 Hector's Goby, 1 Cleaner Shrimp, various crabs, 17 different types of soft corals.
    55 Gallon FW: 2 large Silver Dollars, 3 Australian Rainbow, 1 Bosemani Rainbow, 1 Turquoise Rainbow, 1 King Tiger Pleco, 1 Blue Lobster, Farlawella Cat, Apisto Borelli.
    10 Gallon Planted FW:2 Apistogramma Double Red Cockatoos, 3 SilverTip Tetras, 3 Von Rio Tetras, 3 Amano Shrimp.

Usergroup
    AC Members
    Melafix is great but I'd still use it in a QT. The thing that's bothering me more is that he's keeping his fin clamped to swim. You can wait it out to see what happens. You can add some Vita-Chem or vitamin C or garlic to its food/tank. Hopefully it'll go away. Do you have any fish-stinging corals?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    150G 6' SW AGA , FOWLR
    95G SW AGA, Reef
    60G Freshwater Hex
    2X 29G SW AGA- Molly fry, other tank broke!
    20G Freshwater planted Dwarf Puffer tank- distant future

Usergroup
    AC Members
    Last Activity
    Quote Originally Posted by 5xevy View Post
    Melafix is great but I'd still use it in a QT. The thing that's bothering me more is that he's keeping his fin clamped to swim. You can wait it out to see what happens. You can add some Vita-Chem or vitamin C or garlic to its food/tank. Hopefully it'll go away. Do you have any fish-stinging corals?
    Actually, his fin isn't clamped. It's out at his side, but he's either choosing not to use it or isn't able to use it. He hasn't told me yet.

anyways, I don't have a QT tank. The only coral I have is a Sun Coral.

Usergroup
    AC Members
    Last Activity

hmmmm

I checked how the Cardinal was doing when I got home.

His right side fin is basically gone. It's just sort of not there. You can see the outline of his fin, but there is nothing inbetween. ummm.... yeah... He still appears decently healthy.

what should I do?

Usergroup
    AC Members
    Last Activity

ouch

just checked on the cardinal today. he has no fin left at all. it's just a stub and he looks pretty unhappy. It's kinda reddish flesh exposed. Thats real bad right?

awww mannnnnnn

Normal people scare me magakitty's Avatar
    Usergroup
    AC Members
    Last Activity
    02-13-2008 3:03 AM
    are you medicating him at all?
    Normal is a setting on a dryer

tanks: 5, 20, 37, 55, 55, 125 - plus 10g QT

this fish was coming on to me salty420's Avatar
    Usergroup
    AC Members
    Last Activity
    05-07-2010 7:27 PM
    Blog Entries
    i really don't know but sounds like an infection to me, expecially since it doesn't look (from your sig) like you have any bully in there. hows the other cardinal looking?

Usergroup
    AC Members
    Last Activity
    Quote Originally Posted by salty420 View Post
    i really don't know but sounds like an infection to me, expecially since it doesn't look (from your sig) like you have any bully in there. hows the other cardinal looking?
    the other cardinal is perfectly fine. eating well, no problems at all. The one with the stub fin eats well too. Swims fast sometimes as well. if you didn't see the fin missing you wouldn't know anything was wrong.

it could be an infection. who knows.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information