injured banggai cardinal

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Pallen81

TheSunCoralTamer
Jun 20, 2006
Lawrenceville, NJ
www.mygodmusic.com
I got two Banggai Cardinals for my tank on Sunday.

One of the Cardinals has an injuried fin. I never saw it at the store or in the bag so I don't know where it came from. His right fin is slighty red and fleshy at the point it meets his body. He has not used it to swim, he's only using his other fin. He's eating well and seems to be getting around good... Hopefully he'll pull through. I'm just going to feed him good food and watch his progress.

Any other ideas?

Pallen81

TheSunCoralTamer
Jun 20, 2006
Lawrenceville, NJ
www.mygodmusic.com
Melafix and Pimafix
I'm always hesitant to put anything in my tank that's not natural like medications....

Melafix looks like it would be the better choice of the two. It says its safe to inverts.

Anyone have experience? I have featherdusters, snails, a sun coral, shrimp, lots of inverts....

5xevy

Member #62,749
Jan 3, 2007
Upstate, NY
Melafix is great but I'd still use it in a QT. The thing that's bothering me more is that he's keeping his fin clamped to swim. You can wait it out to see what happens. You can add some Vita-Chem or vitamin C or garlic to its food/tank. Hopefully it'll go away. Do you have any fish-stinging corals?

Pallen81

TheSunCoralTamer
Jun 20, 2006
Lawrenceville, NJ
www.mygodmusic.com
Melafix is great but I'd still use it in a QT. The thing that's bothering me more is that he's keeping his fin clamped to swim. You can wait it out to see what happens. You can add some Vita-Chem or vitamin C or garlic to its food/tank. Hopefully it'll go away. Do you have any fish-stinging corals?
Actually, his fin isn't clamped. It's out at his side, but he's either choosing not to use it or isn't able to use it. He hasn't told me yet. :shakehead:

anyways, I don't have a QT tank. The only coral I have is a Sun Coral.

Pallen81

TheSunCoralTamer
Jun 20, 2006
Lawrenceville, NJ
www.mygodmusic.com
hmmmm

I checked how the Cardinal was doing when I got home.

His right side fin is basically gone. It's just sort of not there. You can see the outline of his fin, but there is nothing inbetween. ummm.... yeah... He still appears decently healthy.

what should I do?

Pallen81

TheSunCoralTamer
Jun 20, 2006
Lawrenceville, NJ
www.mygodmusic.com
ouch

just checked on the cardinal today. he has no fin left at all. it's just a stub and he looks pretty unhappy. It's kinda reddish flesh exposed. Thats real bad right?

awww mannnnnnn

Pallen81

TheSunCoralTamer
Jun 20, 2006
Lawrenceville, NJ
www.mygodmusic.com
i really don't know but sounds like an infection to me, expecially since it doesn't look (from your sig) like you have any bully in there. hows the other cardinal looking?
the other cardinal is perfectly fine. eating well, no problems at all. The one with the stub fin eats well too. Swims fast sometimes as well. if you didn't see the fin missing you wouldn't know anything was wrong.

it could be an infection. who knows. :confused:

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store