My first critter! (hitchhiker ID)

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

06scoob

AC Members
Jun 23, 2007
I bought 15 more lbs of LR today and on one really healthy small piece i found this little guy! sorry for the crappy pics. but it was all i could get with the point and shoot.

I looked it up and seems to either be a Red ridged clinging crab or a Poreclain crab. What do you guys think? Thanks!

cwpvt100

My GF thinks I'm an aquadork...
Apr 24, 2007
Ames, Iowa + Mnpls, MN
I'm a newbie, but it looks like my porcelain crab. Does it have fan arms under its bigger claws? Porcelains will wave small fan arms and filter feed out of the water. Thats the most noticeable feature of my porcelain crab.

fsn77

AC Moderators
Staff member
Feb 22, 2006
SC
Wow... I need to get my eyes checked again... took me seeing the 3rd pic before I realized exactly where the crab is!

06scoob

AC Members
Jun 23, 2007
sorry fsn! he didnt seem to keen on coming out. Hes pretty tough tho, the rock is at the top of my wall and i left for 20 minutes, came home and he pusshed it off the top and it was laying on the sand and he was curled up in the hole. ill try to get some better pics shortly if he comes out

EDIT: This crab is nuts, he has this little rock that he flips over, and hangs upside down from the hole as like a shelter and picks through the sand, i can see him doing it through a little hole in the rock. Ill try to get a pic, but my camera batteries are dead!

Last edited:

SigPiPup

AC Members
May 1, 2007
Michigan
He pushed the rock over!!! Wow. Good thing he didn't break the glass at all. That's my worst fear. Coming home to a smased tank caused by an inhabitant.

Cool crab. Congrats on the secret prize on your live rock. All I've ever gotten was tube worms and stomatella snails....oh and aptasia.

06scoob

AC Members
Jun 23, 2007
Holy Crab! i just went to go check on him again, he dragged the rock(at least 6-7 times as big as him) 8 inches across the sand! hes sifting away at the sand. sweet!

06scoob

AC Members
Jun 23, 2007
I checked some other sites and almost positive its a Gorilla Crab, pic here.

Riverserver

i r 2pro4u
Apr 13, 2007
When I get more space I am going to setup a couple common hitchhiker tanks. I would have so much fun re-arranging his rock and letting him get it back the way he wants it LOL.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store