5 gal tank

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

pilger@insightb

AC Members
Jun 27, 2007
Illinois
Hi, I had a betta in a 2.5 gal. tank with filter for 3 years. He recently went to the great toilet in the sky and I purchased a 5 gal. tank. I have a filter, bio wheel, and heater as well as a few plants and decorations. O.K. so my questions are as follows: what would be the best fish to put in the tank - I dont want another betta (he ate my snail) I have thought of 4 small schooling fish like zebra danios and have been told they are hardy for cycling. However, I have fallen in love with corys. Do you think 4 corys would be ok in a 5 gal./ could corys survive the cycling process? OR if I got 3 danios and added 3 corys after cycling would that be o.k ? I dont want to get to few and make them unhappy since they are both schooling fish. I also dont want to crowd them and I know 5 gal. isnt much. Then i heard danios are too active for a 5. gal. andneons would be smaller but I know they wont survive the cycling. If I got 4 corys and added a snail in a couple weeks? I am open to suggestion but the corys are so dang cute! This may sound dumb but I never had a airator with my betta do I need to get one for a 5 gal. with any of the fish above? I know this is alot of questions...but I love all animals and do not want to hurt them or make them unhappy in any way.:help: Stephanie

NeonJulie

Worlds' Worst Mafia Voter
Nov 13, 2006
Everett, WA
If you fishless cycle, then no one has to survive the cycling process. Please read up about it, you'll probably find 2-4 weeks of patience, and getting to fully stock your tank with cories or whatever works for that size, is worth it. Otherwise it could be 4-6 weeks of stress and water changes.

A filter will often times work to aerate the water. Although it's nice to know you have bubbles in there in case of illness or temperature rise (it adds to the oxygen.) Some of us just like the look? Not totally necessary though. (But can be used to also supply oxygen to the bacteria during cycling phase.)

Danios are not a good choice for your tank.

I think for cories, to get 4-5 they would have to be the smallest type. The problem is they are bottom feeders only... so even though you have a 5g they still only have a small amount of bottom to feed on.

It's too bad you aren't into bettas any more - to me there are the best choice for a tank under 10g. They have the most color, personality, don't require schools, and use up all of the tank, top to bottom, side to side.

1-2 platies may be an option maybe?

pilger@insightb

AC Members
Jun 27, 2007
Illinois
Its not that I am not into bettas they are pretty. I just want to have more than 1 thing in my tank. My last betta attacked my poor little snail all the time.

NeonJulie

Worlds' Worst Mafia Voter
Nov 13, 2006
Everett, WA
Not really a great idea for the zebra danios to be confined so much - they are zippy fish and are reported to require longer setups for their best health. They are also schoolers?

Nolapete

Monster Tank Builder
May 29, 2007
New Orleans, LA
3-4 would be fine in a 5 if they are the only fish in the tank. I agree that a 20 long would be more friendly to them. They are strong schoolers.

Easy to breed too. 2 males to 1 female in a 5-10 gallon with marbles on the bottom with 2 inches of water above the marbles. Glass top to retain stable temp. Put the tank in a rubbermaid tub with a heater in it and set the temp to 80. Once the female looks skinny, remove the parents. Fill the tank and get your infusoria ready.

lancerland

New Fish Fanatic
Apr 17, 2007
North side of Chicago
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store