male and female betta together?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

pilger@insightb

AC Members
Jun 27, 2007
Illinois
Can you put a male betta in with 2 or 3 female bettas? Five gallon tank with filter, bio wheel , heater. Also gravel, a cave and a few fake plants.

rwilliams254

AC Members
May 16, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
Bad idea. Expect nipping.

pilger@insightb

AC Members
Jun 27, 2007
Illinois
I just want more than 1 fish in my tank so I can have a little interaction. I had a male betta for 3 years and want something different. I love Corys. Any suggestions

Nolapete

Monster Tank Builder
May 29, 2007
New Orleans, LA
You can put multiple female bettas together. Just not a male with them. I've seen some really pretty female bettas lately even though they don't have the fins the males do. Two of the smaller corys wouldn't be too ridiculous to put in a 5 with your betta male.

pilger@insightb

AC Members
Jun 27, 2007
Illinois
wouldn't two corys be lonely since they are schooling fish? Wouldnt a male betta attack the corys. My last male betta killed my snail :-(

Dwarf Puffers

Dec 11, 2006
NS, Canada
You can put a pair of females in there, or if you could get your hands on a larger tank, like a 10g, you could have the pair and 6 pygmy or panda cories :D

Nolapete

Monster Tank Builder
May 29, 2007
New Orleans, LA
you can put 3 in there safely, they are anabantoids and breath air when they need to so the same rules don't apply to stocking other fish.

2 corys would be fine to pal around with each other and I doubt seriously the betta male would attack them.

That's it. I'm going to get a 5 gallon tank so I can demonstrate stocking that works in small tanks.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store