Aquarium Rocks

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

lolliemck

AC Members
Jun 22, 2007
Greater Atlanta, Georgia
Real Name
Laura
Okay, so I just bought a 5 gallon aquarium and am about to start cycling. I'm going to have 2 african dwarf frogs and a betta. I thought it would be kind of cool to build a little rockwall about 2 inches high and about 2/3 the width of the tank so the bottom of the aquarium is kind of multilevel. What kind of rocks and glue do I need to use?

severum mama

is a big bowl of wrong.
Dec 30, 2006
North GA
I'd use aquarium silicone. You'll have to let it cure for a few days before it goes into the tank, so be patient! :) My only concern about building this rock wall is that it might make cleaning difficult, but it sounds like a cool plan.

*edit* I've seen polished river stones at Walmart. They sell them in bags and they are pretty cheap I think- that should work.

rwilliams254

AC Members
May 16, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
Not glue. Use Aquarium safe Acrylic. You can find it at home depot or lowes...and it's less expensive there than at petco or petsmart.

cav

wayne
Dec 11, 2006
Hull, UK.
A turkey baster is good for cleaning between rocks without having to move them, just blast the dirt out:) :)

zazz

AC Members
Mar 29, 2005
There may be a risk in having gravel too deep behind the wall. you'd have to wait for someone more knowledgable than I on that one.
Similarly with the "what rocks" question.
The answer is, "Any clean, inert rock of approptiate size without sharp edges."
big help, huh?
I know that quartz, granite, or slate would work. I have never had trouble with any rock I have ever put in a fish tank. rock,(pebbles) from a nearby non polluted river or creek bed should be safe. I assume that anything you buy from a fish store would be safe. They also sell "river rock" in various sizes at landscape places. I bet theyd give you a handfull.
I say find rock you like and try to learn what it is. Posting a picture here would help.

what glue?
Definitely, Aquarium Safe silicone. Check the DIY forum for good places to buy that.
iIhope all that helped a little

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store