New 75G Up and running

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Slappy*McFish

Global Moderator
Staff member
Feb 18, 2002
Raleigh, NC
I just setup a new 75g Saltwater a couple of days ago. It's been a few years since my last saltwater system and it's good to be back. :)

It will be a FOWLR setup for now. It also includes coral replicas which probably will be replaced with live corals a year or so down the road. Right now, it only has the coral replicas and I have 40lbs of Lalo live rock on order w/ about 20lbs of base rock. I can't wait to get the live rock in tank.
The substrate is 50 lbs of Aragonite sand mixed with Caribbean seashells.

The equipment is ample for the set-up, but the lighting will be upgraded if I decide to turn this into a reef.

Set-up includes:
1 Seaclone Protein Skimmer 150 w/foam prefilter
2 Rena Smartfilter 55's
1 Power Sweep 228 powerhead w/foam prefilter.
3 strip light with a 50/50, a 10,000K and a GE freshwater/saltwater. (120W)

Livestock:
Inverts - will include crabs, shrimps and snails.
Fish - Chromis, Flame Angel, Royal Gramma or Fridmani, Clown(s), watchman goby, cardinals, and maybe a tang or butterfly. I'm still deciding on species.
Would a Flame Hawkfish be a danger to the shrimps and/or snails?

Here's the tank now...just 3 days old.

100_1629.jpg

5xevy

Member #62,749
Jan 3, 2007
Upstate, NY
Nice tank and decent size. I like your livestock ideas. Not sure about the hawkfish but I've been reading about them lately because I'd like to get one myself. Liveaquaria states they eat feeder shrimp so I'm not sure it's a good idea to have them with any shrimp.

They also say to use caution with gobies and other bottem-dwellers...
http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=193&N=0

I'll be looking forward to hear other's answers as well. What kind of Tang you have in mind?

Also, the Lalo rock is SWEET! I'm considering ordering that too. Where'd you order it from? You'll have to let us know if it's really as colorful as they say it is.

Grins

Girl Reefer...we do exist
May 1, 2007
Charlotte, NC
It will be a risk to shrimp, hermit crabs, snails, and Christmas Tree worms. Personally I'd not mix them. I like the long nosed Hawk myself but have had to just admire it from afar due to working on a reef.

joander123

what a fruitcake
Jan 12, 2007
Massachusetts
if you'd like to try your luck with the hawk and shrimp, just make sure the shrimp are in there first, have places to hide, and try to keep the hawk on the smaller side. You may get lucky 8).

Nice looking tank so far 8)

-Jay

Slappy*McFish

Global Moderator
Staff member
Feb 18, 2002
Raleigh, NC
What kind of Tang you have in mind?

Also, the Lalo rock is SWEET! I'm considering ordering that too. Where'd you order it from? You'll have to let us know if it's really as colorful as they say it is.
Thanks for the advise on the Hawk, everyone. Maybe I'll put it on hold for now. If anyone has anymore experience with Hawks and shrimps, please post.

I'm thinking of getting either a Kole Yellow Eye tang or a Blue Hippo. My girl really wants a Hippo. We'll see.
The butterfly I was thinking of would be a Tear Drop. Any experience anyone?

I ordered the Lalo live rock at Liveaquaria.com. I ordered 60 lbs and will keep 40lbs for me and I'm selling/splitting the other 20 lbs with a friend with a 40g breeder tank.

Slappy*McFish

Global Moderator
Staff member
Feb 18, 2002
Raleigh, NC
I'll definitely add the tang and/or butterfly last...6 months or so down the road. After the tank cycles, I'll probably start out with the Chromis, then add the Clowns and Royal Gramma or Fridmani, Cardinals and Goby, then the Flame Angel and Cleanup inverts in that order each month until fully stocked. By that time the live rock should be in 'full bloom.'

Reefscape

I shoot people with a Canon
Staff member
Nov 8, 2006
Staffordshire, UK
seethroughmylens.co.uk
Real Name
Blinky
The tank is looking excellent, and a warm welcome back to marine keeping mate..good to have you back...Keep up the hard work, and i am glad you have taken on board the advice about the fish from the other members....

Keep up the hard work...

Niko

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store