Tankmates for 20 Gallon

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Andrew225

A little bit of everything
Jun 26, 2007
Colorado
Well, i already know i want a sandbase, some Mangvoe, and some sand bars for 2-3 Red Claw crabs.

I'm thinking about some fish that i could keep i nthe actual water though.

I've read Bumblebee Goby's and Cherry Barbs Work, do you know of any others?

In particular i'm looking for an Eel...Not sure how the crabs would react, but i think it could be way cool.

Thanks a bunch!

Pufferpunk

AC Members
Mar 22, 2002
Chicago
www.thepufferforum.com
Real Name
Jeni
I don't know of any eels that would fit into a 20g. Cherry barbs aren't brackish. Crabs are opportunistic feeders & will eat anything they can catch. BBGs don't move much--they rest a lot. Mangroves are extremely difficult to keep & need tons of light. I would assume the crabs would crawl out of the tank on it too.

Andrew225

Jun 26, 2007
Colorado
Lol...Well, there goes all my ideas :p

Possibly some interestingly shaped Driftwood, Some DUckweed..Some Java moss as well.

Well, considering all my ideas seem to be not so great, d oyou have any?

Pufferpunk

AC Members
Mar 22, 2002
Chicago
www.thepufferforum.com
Real Name
Jeni
Keep it a species only tank. Stick with the crabs.

Andrew225

Jun 26, 2007
Colorado
I twoudl be a shame though..Maybe a figure 8 puffer...

mellowvision

Seafood Lover
May 17, 2007
Brooklyn NY
www.mellowvision.com
Real Name
Bill Brissette
lol. the puffer would eat the crab day 1.

I've found that my crab really can't catch the fish... they tried for about a half hour the day I added fish, and then gave up. I also think you shouldn't do a crab only tank, just out of activity and fun. I think my crabs are more entertaining in the environment with others. besides, in a 20, you really couldnt have more than 2 or 3 crabs without creating aggession between the crabs... and that leads to lost limbs. I had 3 crabs, one escaped, the other 2, both missing a limb each the next day.

Indian Glassfish are really nice, and not so far off from being local to the crabs. halfbeaks would work if you had enough swimming space for them, but I read they will run into the end of the tank and hurt themselves in smaller tanks. Mollies and guppies will both fit the bill as well, and if the crab does catch a fish or two, the fry ought to outnumber the deaths in no time.

Personally, I'd try a few bumble bees, and a few glass fish. if you can't find the glass fish in their natural state, have your shop order them, or order them online... OR I'd go guppy and see nature take it's course.

Dwarf Puffers

Dec 11, 2006
NS, Canada
lol. the puffer would eat the crab day 1.

I've found that my crab really can't catch the fish... they tried for about a half hour the day I added fish, and then gave up. I also think you shouldn't do a crab only tank, just out of activity and fun. I think my crabs are more entertaining in the environment with others. besides, in a 20, you really couldnt have more than 2 or 3 crabs without creating aggession between the crabs... and that leads to lost limbs. I had 3 crabs, one escaped, the other 2, both missing a limb each the next day.

Indian Glassfish are really nice, and not so far off from being local to the crabs. halfbeaks would work if you had enough swimming space for them, but I read they will run into the end of the tank and hurt themselves in smaller tanks. Mollies and guppies will both fit the bill as well, and if the crab does catch a fish or two, the fry ought to outnumber the deaths in no time.

Personally, I'd try a few bumble bees, and a few glass fish. if you can't find the glass fish in their natural state, have your shop order them, or order them online... OR I'd go guppy and see nature take it's course.
He wants sandbars and other things, so it's obvious he couldn't have "a few bumble bees, and a few glass fish". That would be OS and not properly stocked anyway, and where did you read that glassfish are brackish? BBs are territorial and usually attack each other. That's a really, really bad list.

I agree on the waspfish though, those things are awsome.

Andrew225

Jun 26, 2007
Colorado
So....Waspfish. Like a Dusk Panther Goby? (I've read it's actually a wasp fish)

That would would be pretty sweet, wouldn't it.

But...

I once saw a picture of a tank with small sandbars, 3 crabs and 4 bumblebee goby's in a -ten- gallon..>So..who knows...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store