Probable sick Betta

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

grace

AC Members
Nov 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Visit site
I hate to be one of those people that only logs on when they have a problem, but, well, here I go . . .

I have a male Betta who has been in a 5gal eclipse tank on my desk at work for about four months now. He was doing great until a few days ago. He now just hangs out at the back of the tank, near the surface. He might eat only a couple pieces of food, if anything. He also seems to be slightly flaring his gill covers today. I don’t see evidence of any external parasites (ich, fungus, etc) and his scales are laying flat.

Some tank details:
Temp - 80F
NO3 - 5-10ppm
pH - 7.43
Food - Hikari baby Cichlid pellets - about 6-8 bites, twice a day.

Any idea what’s going on with this guy?

Dangerdoll

Global Moderator
Aug 27, 2002
Roselle Park, NJ
aquariacentral.com
Real Name
Cori
might want to give him betta food instead of cichlid food. I believe they have different needs therefore the foods have different properties.

Another thought is anytime the gills are showing a little weirdness to them, I immediately suspect ammonia problems. Have you tested for it?

palmbreeze

Fish are friends...not food!
Jul 26, 2005
Ohio
What is your ammonia and nitrites? Does the tank have a filter? I'm assuming it does, but just to make sure. Does his gills look red or inflammed? I wouldn't recomend cichlid pellets either. Does he look 'fat'?

grace

AC Members
Nov 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Visit site
His physical appearance is pretty normal. I think he's a bit darker than normal, but it's hard to tell because he's out of the light.

Ugh! I'm trying to check the ammonia quick before I leave for lunch. I have the Seachem kit and it's only been five minutes, but nothing so far. It figures that it's Friday, I'm taking a half day and I might have a baby this weekend so it'll be hard to switch his food!

If I don't have this baby I will switch his food for sure. Thanks!

Kyohti

Curiouser and Curiouser...
Jan 5, 2007
Northeastern Oklahoma
Yeah. Water change sounds like a good idea. Bettas flare, but usually only when they can see another betta or their own reflection. 'gasping' is a sign that either their gills or their labrinth organ is out of whack, which is usually caused by something problematic with your water.

Water change and diet change when you can. :)

grace

AC Members
Nov 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Visit site
Thanks again. I would feel so bad if he had to wait too long for me to take care of the water change and food change. If no baby, maybe I'll go in and take care of it tomorrow (if my husband will let me! ;))

lolliemck

AC Members
Jun 22, 2007
Greater Atlanta, Georgia
Real Name
Laura
Dude! Get your hubby to take care of the fish! I don't know how keen I would be to run aroud doing errands when I'm expecting a baby any day!!!! I remember my poor sister- after shopping for a few hours her feet were HUGE!

platytetrafan

AC Members
Jan 20, 2007
NY
feed your betta freeze-dried bloodworms he will love you and remember to fast your betta atleast once a week.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store