unidentified critter

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

CherubAngel

AC Members
Jan 8, 2003
Visit site
Hello all. I was doing a little clean up this evening and found that I have some type of unidentified sea critter! It is some type of nudibranch, but I have never seen one like it and can't find it on the web. It is completely white, about 1 - 1 1/2 inches long, and has a very lacie or lettuce like body. It almost looks like it would be camoflauged near a young coral. That's acually what I thought it was in the past when I've seen it. I am afraid I can't find any info on it, and I'm not comfortable with it in my tank as I know that some slugs can put off toxins when upset, hurting other inverts...
If someone could help me I would be grateful.
Thanks!

Satchmo

AC Members
May 28, 2001
NJ, 16E
From your description, it sounds like it could be a lettuce nudibrach, which is not actually a true nudi, but a sea slug. That's a great hitchhiker if that's what you've got. They're herbivorous (do a great job on bryopsis) and photosynthetic (how cool is that? a photosynthetic slug!). They are toxic if they die, but not nearly as bad as other nudi's you've probably read about. I had one die on me in a 46g. I ran some carbon, did a waterchange, and noticed no ill effects. One major concern would be your filter/PH intakes. These guys can easily get sucked in and caught there, so you may want to screen them off.

Do a google search on "lettuce sea slug" or "lettuce nudibranch" to see if that's actually what you have. Good luck.

CherubAngel

AC Members
Jan 8, 2003
Visit site
I did a search, and I don't think that is what I have. Somewhat similar, but its edges are more lace like, almost like small polyps of a coral, the color is like the lettuce sea slug tho... :-( I will try some more searching, its just hard when you dont know what your looking for!!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store