Heater broke, tank hit 100 degrees.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

electromen

Aspiring Nudist
Apr 6, 2007
Minneapolis, MN
myspace.com
I was watching a movie with my fiance and we noticed that our apple snail died in our fry tank. Over the past few days I've noticed the fry behaving strangely (zipping around all of the time, constantly moving much more than usual). The thermometer read 76, but when I opened the top I could feel an enormous amount of heat. So I took a thermometer out of a different tank and put it in there... BOOM it went up to 100 degrees! Over the past half hour its went down to 95.. the fry seem to be perfectly fine.. the only other inhabitant was an apple snail that had died.

So I'm not really asking a question. I'm more or less warning others of checking there heaters, thermometers regularly to make sure this doesn't happen to your fishies.

Thats all folks!

Aphotic Phoenix

Graver Girl
Jun 5, 2007
Virginia, USA
Yeah I've heard several stories from people about heater malfunctions...unfortunately most were not as lucky as you. :/

Fortunately we have 3 different thermometers on our tank (not worth explaining the reason) so hopefully I won't have to worry about them all going out at once!

electromen

Aspiring Nudist
Apr 6, 2007
Minneapolis, MN
myspace.com
What type of thermometer did you use? Thermometers stuck outside the tank can be misleading.
I know that now.. I figured that it'd at least show such a major temp difference if it happened. But it didn't. Its the only tank I use that type on anyways, live and learn.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store