Transplant an Anemone

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

oden

AC Members
Jun 1, 2003
Yokosuka, Japan
Visit site
I have just purchased about 50 snails from the local shop here and one of my snails has an anemone growing on it. My question is how can I get it off the snail and onto a rock so that it can grow there? I am not really sure what kind it is, but it is an orange/pink color, has a bunch of arms (tenatacles?) around the outer edge of it, about the size of a quarter, and in the center, when opened, is smooth with a small dot in the middle. I also have another snail that has something that looks like a feather duster on it. Any chance of moving it as well? Thanks for any info you can pass on.

Last edited:

Boogiechillin

It's ok, I confuse my students too.
Oct 26, 2000
Akron, OH, USA
www.trocadero.com
The anemone will likely drift off of its own accord, and has probably done so by the time that you read this! If not, try using the edge of a credit card to VERY gently pry its foot off the shell. I would recommend just waiting, but if you want to get it off yourself, try the card.

Does the feather duster have a hard or soft tube?

oden

AC Members
Jun 1, 2003
Yokosuka, Japan
Visit site
Thanks, I think I will just let it be for now and see what happens. I am just surprised that it is still alive and seems to be doing well. The feather duster is so small that I really cannot tell. I think it is a feather duster, at least that is what it looks like. It is about the size of a very small pea (but cone shape), white, and has a small "slit" that has a "hand-like" thing that comes out. When it does, it looks like it is grabbing for something. That is all I can see. I saw it the first day we put the snails in and have not seen it come out since then. That was about 3 days ago. But I have about 50 snails and can't always find that one.

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
Actually, that sounds more like a barnacle. Feather dusters emerge slowly, and have a circular fan, but it doesn't move. Barnacles, on the other hand, will have the scooping action you described.

I would leave the anemone in place. Many attempts to move them result in deaths--not a good thing.

Ken b

AC Members
Mar 20, 1999
Wakefield, Ma.
Better make sure its not Aiptasia or Anemone Mojano.

You definitely don't want either to get a foothold in your tank.

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store