Smallest anemone?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

5xevy

Member #62,749
Jan 3, 2007
Upstate, NY
I decided to switch my tanks around and make my 95G a FOWLR and my 150G a reef. I never wanted an anemone in my 95G but now that I'm switching everything over to the larger tank I'd like to consider one.

What are one of the smaller anemones I can purchase that will stay relatively small? I know some get well over a foot and I'd really prefer not to get one that can get that large.

Suggestions?

blockamon

AC Members
Jun 17, 2007
I believe the bubble tip anemone is about the smallest, but it can still get close to 12". There is a small, colonial type of this anemone that might stay small. However, it will probably split every now and then, so be prepared to deal with the offspring.

joander123

what a fruitcake
Jan 12, 2007
Massachusetts
i would say a BTA stays generally small. Nice and colorful too, Clowns also love this kind of anemone, and would probably host it if given time. 8)

-Jay

Amphiprion

Contain the Excitement...
Feb 14, 2007
Mobile, Alabama
Real Name
Andrew
Right, the BTA is typically the smallest, although there are some occasional exceptions where they will exceed their usual 12" diameter. I have seen some as large as 24".

Subliminal

AC Members
Feb 21, 2007
Princeton, NJ
Yep, another vote for BTA. Love mine. Easy to feed, clowns love it, hasn't moved, and about the neatest looking thing in the tank!

I got some great pictures of it in the member tank section entitled 'some good pics i took today.'

5xevy

Member #62,749
Jan 3, 2007
Upstate, NY
I was thinking that a condi was one of the smallest. I guess I want a smaller size so it doesn't move enough to suffocate my other corals.

Amphiprion

Contain the Excitement...
Feb 14, 2007
Mobile, Alabama
Real Name
Andrew
Actually, Condylactis spp. can reach up to around 12" also, but that is usually the maximum. BTAs tend to stay smaller than this even, but as mentioned, can exceed it sometimes. 5xevy, I think most of the folks here thought you were only referring to "host" anemones, not other species.

Subliminal

AC Members
Feb 21, 2007
Princeton, NJ
I think when a bta gets to about that size, it'll start splitting...in which case you can sell it's lil' buddies and make your money back.

Of course, I'm still relatively new to BTAs as mine is only a few months old.

5xevy

Member #62,749
Jan 3, 2007
Upstate, NY
Thanks. I think I'm going to wait for now. I don't think I want something that'll get that large in my tank.

Actually, Condylactis spp. can reach up to around 12" also, but that is usually the maximum. BTAs tend to stay smaller than this even, but as mentioned, can exceed it sometimes. 5xevy, I think most of the folks here thought you were only referring to "host" anemones, not other species.
Nope, any species. None are guaranteed to host anyway so I don't really think of it that way. Sorry for any confusion.

:)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store