Cutting "too-big" glass top?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

kj5kb

KEEPER OF CATS, FISH AND CATFISHES
Mar 1, 2007
Spring Hill Kansas SW of Kansas City
Real Name
Don
I broke 1/2 of the glass top for my 36x18 tank (30 Breeder, no center brace). Bought a used top locally, but it's about 1/8-3/16" too wide.

So...I want to take about 3/16" off the end of several 4x36" pieces of 3/16" glass. I've cut glass before, but almost with a jig (used to work @ H/w store)

Is this just as simple as scoring and carefully snapping with appropriate pliers? What's the chance those are tempered glass?

I even though about using an abrasive disc in my miter saw...not sure whether the glass would win, though. :confused:

Or am I fussing too much :headshake2: and I should just go get a new piece of thick glass cut? Since they'd have to waste a 36 or 48" piece I could probably get several spares for not much more...

Thanks!
--Don

Plecosterone

We don't need no stinking badges!
Jan 25, 2007
Windsor, Ontario, Canada
home.cogeco.ca
Cutting 1/8" - 3/16" off the edge is not good to do. You will never get a clean cut on such a small piece. It will want to break into small pieces and leave an uneven edge. That is, if you manage to get it all off without breaking it. I would buy a new one and keep the glass for the smaller tank that you know you are going to buy. Then you can make a cut that can be done cleanly.

jflng

unRegistered abUser
Apr 23, 2007
-
I had the same problem. Instead of attempting to cut it myself I brought the glass to a local glass supply shop and had them cut it for me. It only costed a couple dollars.

kj5kb

Mar 1, 2007
Real Name
Don
I was thinking these were tempered glass...I guess maybe not...just double-thick?

Maybe I'll take 'em to local glass shop next week. Either cut the little bit off...or cut 'em down to ~23" for my 75G. And they should have suitable glass for new tops, too. I have some heavy (almost 1/4") glass shelves that re just over 36"...maybe they can be cut, to-if they're not tempered.

--Don
Some days I wish my 30 had a center brace...the glass would sure be easier to handle!

Toirtis

Keeper of strange fishes
An experienced glass-worker can do 3/16th (I have done so many times myself), but not 1/8th....that small of an amount would need to be taken off with an edger.

kj5kb

Mar 1, 2007
Real Name
Don
Further Yellow Pages research reminds me there's a 'real' glass & mirror shop a few miles from here...maybe next week I'll load up all the glass I have, take exact measurements, and see what they can do.

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
I would take it to a glass shop.

kj5kb

Mar 1, 2007
Real Name
Don
Follow-up...

Took these to a local "REAL" glass shop Cost $7.50 to get all 3 cut; he did a great job. Next time I need a top, I'll probly just buy the hinges and have him cut it for me.

--Don

jflng

unRegistered abUser
Apr 23, 2007
-
Follow-up...

Took these to a local "REAL" glass shop Cost $7.50 to get all 3 cut; he did a great job. Next time I need a top, I'll probly just buy the hinges and have him cut it for me.

--Don
Nice!
That's how I get my covers too. It's a lot cheaper, and you can get it cut however you want.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store