How do i seed?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

cichlidcichlid

AC Members
Jun 15, 2006
I just got the penguin 350 todat and it is working great tons and tons of flow!

How do i seed it to work by itself in a fully stocked tank?

Should i leave the temp filter in there for a week to seed it?

I was thinking of switching the bio wheel from the one i have in my penguin 200 but thought that if i replaced that one with the new wheel and put the old one in the new tank that the old tank would go back into a cycle.

Am i right?

Should i just take the filter catrege and switch that into the new one?

cichlidcichlid

PS the filter is noiser then the older 200 model i have but i think that after it ages a bit it will start to quiet down am i right?

Coler

AC Members
Jan 30, 2007
Basically you can run it in a cycled tank for a couple of weeks or you can put some filter media from a filter that has been runniing in a cycled tank into it.

Corvina

Registered Member
Mar 31, 2007
Hmmm. I have a Penguin 350 and it runs pretty quiet. It's not the motor is it? Sometimes the bio wheel will make a little noise when they are new until it becomes completely saturated.
When I started a new tank I siphoned water from a cycled tank (about 1/2) into the new tank. I also floated a cartridge (rite-size C) from the cycled tank in the new tank for a couple of days. You can also use some of the gravel from your cycled tank to speed things up. Basically, anything inside your cycled tank that has algae or beneficial bacteria will speed up the process.
Believe it or not my new tank (30g) cycled in about 5 days. It is crystal clear!

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
run them side by side for a week or so.

you can seed a new filter simply by squeezing some water from a sponge,old filter pad etc.. I use the AC filters and keep extra sponges in them in place of the carbon..that way I have an extra sponge to use when I have a new set up to seed.

cichlidcichlid

AC Members
Jun 15, 2006
I can'st run them side by side because i need it to start filtering immediately.

I only have a foutain pump with some felt on the end for a homemade filter but it doesn't work that well.

It is the splashing noise that i hear!

Coler

AC Members
Jan 30, 2007
Put some filter media from the old filter in it, and some substrate from the cycled tank in tights/pantyhose in the new tank ( if you're planning a different substrate, if not just add it).

Watch for a mini cycle in both tanks.

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
:iagree:

Corvina

Registered Member
Mar 31, 2007
There is a good product called 'Stability' which will help to seed the tank and speed the process. I have used it several times and it does what is says it does.

aardvark1

Too many tanks are almost enough...
Sep 27, 2005
Warner Robins, Georgia, USA
Take the filter cartridge from the 200 and stick in the 350; it'll start the cycle going fast. Most of the Bio is in the Bio-Wheels (duh!), but some is in the "old" filter pad.

Use to do this when I was running the penguins (now on cannisters) and no cycling problems. Tanks were almost good to go from the start. But then I was running dual filters (350's) with 4 filter elements, so had lots of elements to swap around. I even took one of the two wheels and swapped with the new one's from the new 200.

Once you have one filter/tank seeded, you're good to go!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store