Water Change long overdue?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

noskimmer

AC Members
Mar 5, 2007
Sydney
Real Name
Nick Papahatzis
Well, effectively my last water change was when I setup my new sump, this wasn't exactly a 'water change' per say, but more of just a dilution by adding additional capacity and volume.

I'm what people would refer to as a 'slacker', I hate testing my water, and I loath doing water changes, I actually hate doing any maintenance. But yesterday I (guilt ridden), decided to head down to the lfs and get 75 liters (20 USG) of NSW. Now it's been about 5 weeks since my last change or dilution which ever way you look at it, and this morning I'm looking into the tank and thinking how good everything looks. As the salt water is still sitting in drums in the driveway I start to think that maybe psychologically I'm looking for excuses not to carry it up and do the laborious water change. So I think, I'll just do a nitrate test and that will convince me, so I do my nitrate test, zero, hmm.

Yes I know, water change does more than reduce nitrate, it adds trace elements as well, but looking at my VERY, VERY, FAT Tangs, my coral polyps extending further than they have before, my torch coral with about half an inch of new skeletal growth, and a whole bunch of other things, I hesitate and ask myself "Is this really necessary?"

In all my years, I have never returned a zero nitrate reading, I find it surprising as I am a very heavy feeder, actually yesterday I even dumped a whole bunch of crap from the fish markets in there because I figured I was going to do a water change anyway. I guess I’m just miffed at the results.

I just thought I would share.

Oh, I forgot to mention… I don’t skim.

Catpicklesdog

Hindsight is a wonderful thing!
Feb 25, 2007
Telford, UK
Real Name
Alison
Your tank looks stunning. I'll probably get shot for this - but if it aint broke don't fix it. Something is obviously working for you - and very well.

My LFS had a large display tank and he openly admitted to me (this is when he first set up his shop) that he hadn't done a water change on it for 12 months, his stock - corals and fish - looked fantastic. He's trying to persuade me that I will be able to leave my new tank that long without a water change but I'm not convinced!!!

OldManOfTheSea

AC Members
Mar 21, 2007
Hillsborough NC
I have to figure that most people are somewhat lazy for how many others here with FO tanks that began there tanks and were told to do either monthly or every two weeks water changes and that they feel tired or lazy and they figure that their tanks are OK and they can do the water change next week or so?

Its is however a nice looking reef tank considering the algae you have, for I hope that when the time comes that I begin my reef tanks that I do a whole lot better on that part. All others should do here is tell you in how you best to do things, for there be many who failed in a reef tank since my beginning years and like if any of you checking around, in RC there is a thread for a FO TOTM thread and it had lots of responses and not on staff over there up to the 5th page has made any comment on it. Because keeping a healthy reef tank is somewhat more work then keeping any FO system and in keeping any FO tank, there are many who are slacking, this im sure.

So no one should put you under the gun for your being lazy for the two things that suffer is your tank and you, so this couldn't been going on for all that long. And I think now that you will be getting out of your lazy mode and begin to clean things up, I hope before things begin to look far worst then it is now.

And you don't skim you say? Your best to begin doing so and siphon the algae out and use a toothbrush to help loosing the algae were its sticking good at. Just what size tank it is? And do you have a sump in place?

CPD, what I always tell others is that we all not have the same results for yes, there are any number of hobbyists who not do a monthly water change for like once I finally do begin my reef tanks, I will be keeping a record book on the tanks and make any changes that might be needed for I known of many who have a 180 gal reef tank, and they due to their problems are performing huge 40 gal water changes a month. And I know a large number of people that does a water change as little as 12 gals every sixth week.

It all falls back on how we maintain our own tanks for I said it that FO tanks with large algae problems are easier to clean up then in reef tank with many corals. I as well if any slight signs of algae in my reef tanks will begin to make what additional changes in order to correct them for as well in your lfs, they not tell you this, but they have a person going in these display tank to clean away any algae that might be there.

For look at the rest of their tanks, they get much algae as most anyone and people think that they can do the reef tank as they can and we know that they really are keeping a reef display and keeping it clean so that others would like to do one themselves and because many lfs make it look easy and all that people then think that it is easier then to keep a FO tank. Im not all as sure, for im speculating on this.

So yes, me too, I'm not convince on what your lfs told you on their reef display tank>

Buddy

fsn77

AC Moderators
Staff member
Feb 22, 2006
SC
Sure, there's some nuissance algae, but if you really feed that heavily, aren't skimming, and regularly go that long between water changes, I'd say things are looking pretty darn good, all things considered.

I would like to know more information about your system before I make any further comments... essentially your tank specs (size, age, lighting, inhabitants, clean-up crew, etc.). Regardless, it would appear that your deep sand bed is really working for you at this point.

5xevy

Member #62,749
Jan 3, 2007
Upstate, NY
Hey, beautiful tank. Whatever works for you. When I slack on my water changes my results aren't nearly as good as yours. What kind of clean-up crew do you have and how large is your tank? I agree with you regarding the skimmer. I think once your tank has been running for a while, it just sits with nothing to collect.

So yes, me too, I'm not convince on what your lfs told you on their reef display tank>

Buddy
I believe it.

Interesting this came up. I've been planning on making this the topic for this week's Poll of the Week. :D

Riverserver

i r 2pro4u
Apr 13, 2007
Well it looks like you have a lot of sand and live rock. Highly established live rock and a sand bed may not require any filtration beyond a refugium.

SHK_ATK

Clam Chowda
Nov 4, 2006
(805)-CA (336)-NC
kudos. I run my tank the same way, No skimmer (although I am waiting on buying one when I get the $$$$) I put in Fresh RO/DI water for top offs and do change at least 40G or so (prob more) a month its a big tank so Im not doing 50% or nothing too crazy, I think what really helps me is that I have a 55G sump 300+ lbs of LR and a HUGE clean up crew. I will admit that I did get diatoms last week (that where solved by a Gravel vac) and I did get some algae (i think brown) that was solved when I got a kole tang ( they will eat ANY ALGAE!!), Corals all look nice and healthy I dont really like the little film of organic waste but If I point the PH to break the surface of the water and agitate it it goes away. (like I said I will be getting a skimmer once I land on some $$$) Do what ever works for you, I tend not to like algae growing everywhere so far so good but I also would like to know how long youve been running your tank like this, It really is a nice tank.

clown-lover

AC Members
May 26, 2007
Fargo, ND
Don't Tangs nip at LHA (long hair algae)? I've at least seen them do this in other tanks. And if it isn't getting out of bounds, or his clean up crew is staying on top of it for the most part, I say leave well enough alone.

It looks like his water parameters are great, but my guess about the 0 Nitrates is that he is feeding the algae that is present in his system.

But overall I agree, if it ain't broke.. Have you tested for your trace elements? Do you dose at all? I know the primary reason for water changes is to eliminate waste, but it is also to add back those elements from the fresh salt.

lebloom

AC Members
Oct 4, 2001
Illinois
How you get away without h2o changes? I try to keep a schedule of every week to change out 10 - 12 gal. in my 75 and mine doesnt look that good. I am not saying mine looks horrible or anything like it but mine need some new life. It seems my coraline isn't as bountiful like it use to be. My rock is coming down with a case of apstasia and I have tried the remedies but have been told that the paste made out of kalkwasser isn't really good to do. My tank is a good 6 yrs old, I'd say and it needs certain something if you know what I mean. :help:

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store