Zoo Med Mag-Clip Suction Cups-Anyone Use?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

stavs

AC Members
Jan 1, 2007
Allentown, PA
I saw an ad for Zoo Meds new Mag-Clip suction cups.

MAGCLIP®
Industrial strength magnetic suction cup with interchangeable clips.

Never replace your suctions cups again!

Includes 6 assorted sizes of nylon clips to hold all types of aquarium accessories like canister filter outlet tubes, aquarium heaters, filter intake tubes, filter spray bars, airline tubing etc.

Has anyone tried them yet, or anything similar? I am interested in trying them out but wanted to get some feedback first.

rwilliams254

AC Members
May 16, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
Sounds like a good idea.

Give it a try and post something on it. :)

stavs

AC Members
Jan 1, 2007
Allentown, PA
Well, I bought them. They are pretty strong, but I have some reservations. The clips are generic as is to be expected. They fit somewhat loosly on my equipment. The other negative is that they only give you one magnet setup, so you need to buy multiple kits for each piece you want to secure. For my setup I would need 1-2 for the heater, 1-2 for the intake, and 1-2 for the spraybar. At $4.99 a set, it could add up if I had more stuff...I still like the idea and I'm going to stick it out and see what I think long term.

rwilliams254

AC Members
May 16, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
That's a bummer.

MeatWagon

AC Members
Aug 14, 2006
I dont know how these work, but why couldn't you use any cheap magnet for the outside pieces? Doesnt it just go on the outside of the glass?

:idea:

stavs

AC Members
Jan 1, 2007
Allentown, PA
Basically you have a suction cup with threads in the rear. The threads screw into one of the magnets. The other magnet sits on the outisde of the glass creating the connection. It works...but the problem is the suction cups are either too large or too small. I suppose you could make you're own by siliconing the devices actual suction cups to some magnets. You would need waterproof magnets, which they sell. I believe KG Magnetics is the place I ordered some magnets from.

MeatWagon

AC Members
Aug 14, 2006
Oh, I didnt look closely enough... :screwy:

I was thinking that all of the clip parts all had magnets in them and then we would just need some backs.

But, anyway is the magnet powerful enough to keep a heater what its supposed to be long term? My heater always pulls of and sits on the sand.. bogus!

MeatWagon

AC Members
Aug 14, 2006
That would be fine for me, my problem is the suction cups never last and I usually let algae grow freely on the back glass anyway.

Where did you get them for $4.99? Was shipping fast?

mikeonthebike

Registered Member
Mar 22, 2009
Regarding your Mag Clips

Well, I bought them. They are pretty strong, but I have some reservations. The clips are generic as is to be expected. They fit somewhat loosly on my equipment. The other negative is that they only give you one magnet setup, so you need to buy multiple kits for each piece you want to secure. For my setup I would need 1-2 for the heater, 1-2 for the intake, and 1-2 for the spraybar. At $4.99 a set, it could add up if I had more stuff...I still like the idea and I'm going to stick it out and see what I think long term.
I was wondering how your Mag Clips for your aquarium are working out?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store