Deal or no deal?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

equus_peduus

Constantly Confused
May 8, 2007
Bay Area, CA
here we go again...

http://sacramento.craigslist.org/for/364180003.html

I'm going to try to call this afternoon... should I try to negotiate down? This is at least the second time they've posted it (I recognize the pics), I don't recall what the previous price was though.

I've sent off an email to this one http://sacramento.craigslist.org/for/364308026.html tank only, but as long as it's an actual aquarium and not a terrarium (which I asked in the email) and doesn't leak, it should work if cleaned well, I expect. OK price for tank only w/ some reptile stuff (which I can give a friend who's got more reps than she needs ;P)

ETA: There's also a 50gal corner tank that's been set up as a reef that I can't find the ad for (sent an email though, and got a phone number) for $150 w/o chiller... I can call and get more details, but I believe the ad said it had everything ready to go for a reef setup incl lights and filter and whatnot (I'm wanting freshwater though, would it be convert-able?)

Last edited:

Hooked Newbie

Today will be yesterday tomorrow
May 25, 2007
Georgia
Real Name
Len
Looks like a good deal to me. Good thing it's not in my area or I might have another tank! lol

Weezer

Plastic Plant's Live Longer
Mar 2, 2007
"Minnesota - It Gets Chilly Here"
The 1st one could be a good buy..........:)

equus_peduus

Constantly Confused
May 8, 2007
Bay Area, CA
Called the first one - he got it off craigslist himself, not sure how old it is, he only had it going for a couple months and decided he didn't have time for it, but he says it's in good shape. The crack in the lid basically makes it so you don't have to lift the lid to feed the fish, but doesn't affect the function. The light is "not enough for coral or live rock" and does extend the full length of the tank so we'll see what it is... I'm wanting plants, but if it's enough for low-lights, I'm happy. He said there's been interest, but no-one's actually come to look at it - first person to do so gets it. So the biggest initial expense will be getting a filter for it, and potentially upgrading the lights at some point. The rest I'm willing to go slow - my angels need to go somewhere other than their current tank soonish, but I'm not in a hurry to move everyone else or buy more fish at this point.

So I think I'm going to coordinate with a friend (don't want to go visit strange guys off craigslist by myself) and decide which of our cars we're taking (either will *probably* fit it, since we've both got station wagons right now, though hers has been proven to take a 65 and stand) and work out a time to go look. :)

legendaryfrog

Tactical Refreshment Action
Nov 25, 2006
arlington heights - hoffman estates, IL
I dont think that the regular lights included with the 55g will be enough, even for lowlight plants. I would say 80 watts as the minimum for plants.

Hooked Newbie

Today will be yesterday tomorrow
May 25, 2007
Georgia
Real Name
Len
I dont think that the regular lights included with the 55g will be enough, even for lowlight plants. I would say 80 watts as the minimum for plants.
I agree & disagree... I have a 25W Plant Grow light above a 75 and Anacharis, Peacock Fern, and some other plants growing like mad. I have also lost a couple higher light requirement plants though (which will lead to a future upgrade). At a minimum, you'll probably need to replace the bulb to maximize the right spectrum.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store