question about rabbitface foxfish and sailfin tang

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

psariandras

AC Members
May 18, 2007
I only have 55g tank. My question is, if I keep optimal parameters along with frequent water changes and ample filtration, would I be able to keep one rabbitface foxfish, or one sailfin tang in my 55g?

Grins

Girl Reefer...we do exist
May 1, 2007
Charlotte, NC
A Foxface Rabbitfish? Needs a bigger tank. It isn't just the bioload it is their need to swim. Also be aware that it is aggressive and venemous and a threat to some corals if you want a reef.

The sailfin, also needs a much larger tank.

joander123

what a fruitcake
Jan 12, 2007
Massachusetts
sorry, but i agree with grins those fish are a bit to big for the 55g (or just swim to much)

You could try it with them as juvys and upgrade when needed to something more like a 6' long tank however....

psariandras

AC Members
May 18, 2007
its kinda frustrating,I see these great fish in small tanks to Petco and the LFS tells me that the fish will be fine in a tank that is way too small. They usually say they will only grow as big as tank so it is nothing to worry about.

To me the situation is analogous to putting a small puppy in a box and keeping it while it cannot grow as it should and then letting it die and buying a new puppy. It would be animal abuse to keep a dog or cat in a tiny box and not let it reach its potential, but with a fish it is okay. I mean as far as price goes some SW fish are more expensive than dogs or cats. It seems like people don't care as much about fish.

At Wal-mart I have watched a tank of puffers slowly decline until nearly all of the fish are dead.
I am guessing that at the big chains,as well as other LFS, they reason it is okay to be misleading b/c most people who buy large fish will either get tired of the hobby or kill the fish by mistreating it before it has the chance to grow very large.
I am thinking about not even going to the LFS anymore, and trying to get my stuff for this hobby off the net.
I'm not saying that there should not be LFS or that all are bad, but i am saying that, based on my experiances, it seems like quite a few LFS could have a lot more class, and be honest.

Grins

May 1, 2007
Charlotte, NC
Understood. Keep in mind that many of the tanks you see are actually part of a large system with big skimmers and such running them. Even so a good aquarist keeps a better tank than the LFS stocking tanks.

I've seen you asking a lot of questions and that is great. My sincere advice is

1. Join your local reef club where you'll get opinions on good local stores as well as be able to trade with other members and enjoy discounts from sponsors.

2. Keep reading and to do so from a wide variety of sources so you can make an informed decision. Forums like this are fantastic for getting a wide variety of opinions. Don't be afraid to ask about someone's experience. I'm a salt newbie myself and wouldn't hesitate to admit that when asked.

3. Get ahold of Bob Fenner's book The Consecientous Marine Aquarist.

4. Did I mention to join your local reef club?

5. Pick up a pocket guide to Reef Aquarium Fishes so that you can have it with you when going to the LFS. It will help to have the opinion of what a fish needs when faced with an unknowing or unreputable employee.

6. Oh yeah did I mention join your local reef club? ;-)

psariandras

AC Members
May 18, 2007
Thanks for the kind words, Grins.

Unfortunatly, I don't know if there is a local reef club around these parts. i haven't heard of one.

I guess that I have ask a lot, maybe too many, questions in this forum in the past few weeks. I do hope that I have not been rude in asking so many questions as much of what i have ask is similar. I do not exclusivly ask questions on this forum for information - I try to read and understand as much as I can from the net, and books, before I ask questions here.

Anyhow, I will see if I can find a local reef club and I will probably order a few good books. Usually I can find books cheap on the net, but it seems like most of the good reef books are steep in price, I'll find some along the way though, I'm sure.(I am somewhat of a book-collector)

Grins

May 1, 2007
Charlotte, NC
Try this link to help find a club in your area. I was lucky to find my local club through a google search and it was the best $20 I ever spent.
http://reefcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=80

Please don't take what I said earlier as encouragement to not ask questions. I have people here as well as other forums VERY willing to help people. It is great that you're looking at multiple sources because there are so many different ways to be successful in this hobby that you'll want to sort out what you feel will work best for you and probably base it on someone with experience (more than I have for certain).

Look around on the book deals as well. I found Fenner's book online for $26 and it was twice that in my local LFS

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store