Went for 29 to 150 in 4 months

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

dapettit

AC Members
May 27, 2007
Austin, Texas
I will be acquiring an established 150 gallon acrylic reef ready tank complete with refugium. lights and stand over the 4th of July weekend. The lighting consits of 5 PC's and 1 250W 10K MH light. It has about 100LBs or more of live rock covered with large blue mushrooms. The sand bed is 2" or more deep. Will include 1 - green carpet anenome, 1 - large Clark's clown fish, 1- fake clown, 1 - large yellow tang, and 1 - large fox face rabbit fish. There is another large fish we can't identify. The tank has really been neglected and will need a lot of work to get cleaned up. I plan to put the fish and some live rock in a friends 55 to hold them over the weekend.

We will need to refinish the stand and build a hood for the light system. The tanks is 6ft long, 2ft wide, we think it is 3ft deep.

Here is my question:

How many MH 250 should I use on this set up? I will keeping stonys, other LPS and softies along with fish.

jojo22

Salt-aholic Xtreme
Sep 21, 2006
^^ DEAD ON ADVISE^^^^

also I would ditch the sand and buy new.

SHK_ATK

Clam Chowda
Nov 4, 2006
(805)-CA (336)-NC
Thats a sweet deal I would give that tank alot of TLC.

clown-lover

AC Members
May 26, 2007
Fargo, ND
^^ DEAD ON ADVISE^^^^

also I would ditch the sand and buy new.
I also agree with this.. I purchase a neglected tank and went with a whole new substrate.. It cost as I went with a 3+ inch bed but with all the poo and stuff that was in the old substrate I would have been in real trouble if I hadn't.

My previous owner had long hair algae about 4 to 6 inches long and was on every surface of the tank. I got a steal, but I ended up cleaning for a couple of days to get stuff back up to snuff.. I also then re-curred the live rock, so to speak, so I could kill off all the algae that didn't come off of the rock..

I had a small start of LHA again, but immediately went and bought cerith snails, crabs etc and now have it under control. That an my constant monitoring of my Nitrates so they don't go out of control... :)

Reefscape

I shoot people with a Canon
Staff member
Nov 8, 2006
Staffordshire, UK
seethroughmylens.co.uk
Real Name
Blinky
not a great lot more needs to be said as the best advice has already been given. Good luck with the tank and getting it back to prestine conditions..Look forward to seeing some pictures of the system..

Niko

dapettit

AC Members
May 27, 2007
Austin, Texas
Thanks for all the advice.

We have alot of work ahead of us but oh the rewards. . .

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store