How to build about a 200 gallon pond

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Tidus

Registered Member
Jun 1, 2003
Visit site
Me and My grandpa would like to build a 200 or so gallon pond outside. I am know alot about aquariums and tropical species, but i know very little on coldwater species and ponds. I would appreciate instructions very much. I'm looking forward to getting into the Hobby. Thank you very much
-R.J.
p.s. i would like to do it as cost effective as possible.

rjl420

AC Members
May 13, 2002
Temecula, CA
photos.yahoo.com
1: pick a spot

2: dig a hole (make sure it's level)

3: install plumbing if needed and concrete the hole or use a liner

4: if submersable setup install the pump and filter

4a: you may need to run a line for electricity

5: fill the pond

6: add plants

7: add fish

obviosly that's just the basics. post back with some specifics, it's not really any different than tanks

Tidus

Registered Member
Jun 1, 2003
Visit site
a couple questions

I read that it is possible for a pond over 200 gallons to function without a filter due to the inhabitants like fish, and pants. Is it true.
Could a Red Devil possibly survive. Li live in michigan, but it would only be for the summer.
Is it necesarry to have the water moving, like a fountain or a pump.
Thank you I apreciate it.
:)

rjl420

AC Members
May 13, 2002
Temecula, CA
photos.yahoo.com
Re: a couple questions

Originally posted by Tidus
I read that it is possible for a pond over 200 gallons to function without a filter due to the inhabitants like fish, and pants. Is it true.
Could a Red Devil possibly survive. Li live in michigan, but it would only be for the summer.
Is it necesarry to have the water moving, like a fountain or a pump.
Thank you I apreciate it.
:)
yes, of course it possible; it happens in nature all the time.

the only thing is that it would need to be stocked VERY lightly (a couple small fish max) and have several plants and algae. not very practical if you want something that appealing to the eye or able house more than a couple small fish. even then it can take several months to establish any kind of balance. also the water won't be what you expect in a "water garden" the water would likely be very cloudy and have a "dirty" look to it. look at the natural waterways in your area to see what to expect.

I wouldn't recomend the red devil, it's a tropical fish and definately won't survive the temp swings. also moving him/her around when time to relocate it would only add to stress. plus, it would likely eat or destroy most of your plants.

Moving water is the primary source of gas exchange. it also will deliver nutrients around the pond to whatever needs them.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store