carbon again

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

fish_freak

Retired Mod
Feb 15, 2002
Great Barrington, MA
Ok I asked this yesterday but didnt get to see any reply's
Fisrst do you use carbon on a regualr basis and do you personaly think there might be any links with it to HITH due to problems going away when carbon was removed?
Thanks
also I was always under the impresion that carbon was great because of all the organic waste it absorbed. Will the organic waste build up that much if I vaccum gravel and do a 60% water change every 4 days?

rus

self proclaimed proclaimer
Jan 6, 2002
Charlotte, NC
www.cichlidsickness.com
i use carbon but not regular basis. carbon has limited abilty to absorb organics and it will not absorb nitrates. water changes is a good way to keep organics under control. if the ph out of your tap isnt close to that of your tank i do not recomend changing 60% of your water at one time. as far as the hole in the head caused by carbon i dont know one way or the other.

fishlips

Quality Takes Time
Dec 22, 2001
Harwinton,CT
I rarely use carbon anymore. I think my tanks are fine without it. If I'm having troubles I may through carbon in a corner filter and run it for a week or more. I have two tanks with wally world poly filters and its been a year and counting without any trouble. P.S. I work in Winsted.

Tyler718

AC Members
Feb 17, 2002
Stafford, Va
Real Name
David
The only time I use carbon is when I add new peat to my filter. That is so it will remove the tannin that the peat bleeds out. The only other time I use it is to remove meds from the tank that I was treating.

fish_freak

Retired Mod
Feb 15, 2002
Great Barrington, MA
Acctualy rus with CA/SA cichlids it is recomended to do a 50%+ water change a couple of times a week. This was recomened by many experts here to help with hole in the head and water quality in gereral. I also get high nitrates so it helps to keep them down. The PH is almost 7 anyhow but I use a buffer to keep it right at 7.
Anyway its good to know that I shouldnt have to waste money on carbon anymore unless I need to remove something.

Fishlips- thats too bad that you have to come to this crumy town everyday. lol

rus

Jan 6, 2002
Charlotte, NC
www.cichlidsickness.com
yes i know this and have read the same books but my tanks are not the same ph as my tap so a 50% water change is very stressfull to my fish. i do 15-20% every other day. you can change 90% of the water if your tank and your tap water chem. is the same. it is not good for your fish to rapidly change your water chem. the difference between 7.0 and 7.1 is ten fold to a fish.
a far as hole in the head 11 months ago i bought an 8" female midas that had hole in the head when i got her. not only did i stop the hole in the head but all of her sores have completely healed over so i think im doing some thing right.

Last edited:

fish_freak

Retired Mod
Feb 15, 2002
Great Barrington, MA
Hey rus,
What treatment methods did you use? I ran a course of hexamit which seemed to help a little and I am also now soaking pellets and meal worms in vitamins before I feed them to my fish, along with the increased water changes. (I was doing about 30% once a week). Any other advice on how you got your midas'es HITH to heal up?

rus

Jan 6, 2002
Charlotte, NC
www.cichlidsickness.com
i also soaked pellets and other foods in vitamins that seemed to help a good bit. any way you can destress the fishes life is going to help. and more h20 changes also helps. depending on how old the fish is the sores may never fully heal. as far as meds. i didn't use any. i also noticed a big change when i put her in a larger tank(180 gal) . so lots of water changes, good quality foods, low stress level, and having a big tank is what worked for me. this is her now at 10.5"

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store