syphon malfunction??

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

slugstheone

AC Members
Dec 8, 2002
Visit site
Okay here's the problem.I just started up a new saltwater tank and I love it,but up until about 3 weeks ago my syphon has been going out and i dont know why.Here's the problem: I come home and my pumps in the bulkhead are not pumping anything...and worst off all I loose alot of water ONTO THE FLOOR!!I have an amircle filter with the normal 'U' shaped syphon.I just dont get it.
Can anyone help me with this problem???I am lost.If you need any more info on how to help me I wil be glad to answer any questions.I will check back everyday until my problem is solved.I am lost here and i need help bad!!!
please help me here guys
Slugs:confused:

slipknottin

the original legend
Jan 13, 2002
CT
Real Name
Connor
are air bubbles accumulating in the siphon tube?

how strong is your return pump?

slipknottin

the original legend
Jan 13, 2002
CT
Real Name
Connor
what does "very strong" mean?

are you flowing at least 500 GPH through your display tank?

slugstheone

AC Members
Dec 8, 2002
Visit site
i am pretty sure it is a true 700 gph .but i am not sure what you mean by a 90 degree angle.but i am sure that i do have air bubbles in the syphon tube itself.a large one at that .it got bigger and bigger over a few days.so i resyphoned it and it got smaller so i am going to keep an eye on it for the next few days.ONE MORE QUESTION though,is there anyway i can get rid of the air bubbles.i think i heard somewhere that you could put a small hole in the syphon.is this true??ANYONE HELP OUT.:confused:

slipknottin

the original legend
Jan 13, 2002
CT
Real Name
Connor
the only way to fix it would be to run more water through the tube.

if you drill a hole in the top of the siphon tube your going to get even more air in it, even if you have a powerhead sucking the air out.

BiggerWurm

AC Members
Dec 5, 2002
michigan
Visit site
slugstheone,

I had a similar problem when re starting a syphon there was a bubble in the very top of the up side down U and when the the bubbles came thru from the water falling into the skimmer box it added to the bubble until it no longer pulled a good amount of water which would then have lead to an over flow if i had not been home. There should be no bubbles at all stationary in the tube. The key for me was to stick the small tube so far up the back of the syphon into the U that it had to pull the full amount when started. This is a pain to get the starter tube back out but i have never over flowed (Knock on wood). Also if you have the wrong end of the tube in the front (inside tank overflow) which should be the shorter end the tube, it will touch the bottom of the overflow or so near it that it would severly decrease the intake. I also have had snails crawl up the tube which is unpredictable and probably not your problem. It may sound dumb but i lift the syphon and tap it on the parts it hangs on and never let it stop sucking (leave the water in the overflow at least in the front) to get the bubble moving and on the little ones it usually works.

Good luck

slugstheone

AC Members
Dec 8, 2002
Visit site
Biggerworm,Slipknottin,&Spongebob,
thankyou all for our help.so far so good no overflow.and Biggerworm i will try what you suggested even though i know i will struggle getting the syphon tube out.once again thanks to all of you, and i am sure i will be back.i will be monitering for more suggestions.
slugs

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store