Just bought a used 5g tank

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

typezero

AC Members
Apr 9, 2007
Toronto, Ontario
Just purchased a used 5g tank for a future project. It has some build up on the rim. What is the best ration of vinegar to water to be used to clean the tank up? The tank also came with a sponge filter which im planning to use. The cylinder sponges height and diameter is 2 inches. The sponge looks near brand new but should i do something to it before using it to avoid nasties?

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
I would try a 10/1 mixture, if just elbow grease and warm water didn't do the trick. For the sponge just rinse and squeeze clean in warm water.

Needeles

AC Members
Jun 5, 2006
Wisconsin
Agreed but make sure you rinse the tank out well after your done cleaning it. You don't want none of that vinegar left in there. I myself have used straight vinegar to clean a tank and it worked well just had to make sure it was all rinsed out good when done.

Reefscape

I shoot people with a Canon
Staff member
Nov 8, 2006
Staffordshire, UK
seethroughmylens.co.uk
Real Name
Blinky
i have always used a 50/50 mixture when using vinegar..its nothing to worry about if you give it a good rinse out afterwards....If you really want to avoid any nastys, replace the filter media as its certianly an unknown quantity as you have not had it from new....

Just some thoughts and opinions

Niko

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store