Clown Loaches Striking Ich within only hours...

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Mantis_22

Blue Dreams Webmaster
Mar 24, 2003
Somerset, KY
www.blueskyff.s5.com
Okay, this is my first ich outbreak ever. I was kinda expecting knowing I just bought these Clown loaches so I was asking for the trip of treatment.. About 4 hours after putting these guys in my 10gl tank BOOM I see 2-3 little white dots on their torsos. I have been doing alot of reading and such. Tonight before I go to bed Im going to add some Aqua-Salt. How much should I add?, I have these loaches and 5 corys in the tank? Also I am going to raise the temperature to 81 degrees. Tomorrow I will go to the local fish store and buy some medication. Before adding the med I am gonna do a 30% water change and take out the carbon filter. What meds should I buy that are safe and effective? Since I have scaleless fish also in this tank (The loaches)? Loaches online said Coppersafe but small amounts and one website said Jungle Ich Guard 2 Powder. I am kinda stumped, are all my steppings correct with also doing 25% water changes everyday? Please help, thanks...

Mantis_22

Skittyfish

AC Members
Jan 8, 2003
South Central,KY
Visit site
Loaches don't tolerate salt. You would be better off raising the temp of the tank slowly. Do a search on clown loaches and ich. I've seen numerous threads about it.

I always acclimate my loaches really slow. I float them for at least 30 minutes, then I take out two tablespoons of water from the bag and add two from the tank. I do this every 10-15 minutes for about and hour and a half. I have never had ich on my clown loaches.

Also Aquarisol seems to work for me when I get fish that have ich.
You can get it at Wal-Mart.

Mantis_22

Blue Dreams Webmaster
Mar 24, 2003
Somerset, KY
www.blueskyff.s5.com
from what I have heard cories donot tolerate salt either. So i guess the salt idea is off, i just raised my tank temp slowly to 80* degrees. Also, I just checked again on my loaches. Only one of them have a white dot on them and its barely visible? I dont think the parasite is freeswimming yet so whats up? Maybe The host could be dieing off????

Cloud-9

AC Members
May 11, 2003
Reidsville, GA
Visit site
Aquarisol

Aquarisol is a gentle remedy for ich. It does require some time and raising temperature to work though. There are other ich medications out there that work faster or better. I'm not all that familiar with treating ich on clown loaches, however. The ones I've owned thankfully never got it.

I don't think you'll have any problems. There are plenty of good ich medications out there. Clown loaches like their water clean, so try to avoid anything that will suppress the bio-filter. Feed sparingly during treatment.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store