white rock in texas, is this aquarium safe?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

dave76

Home Zookeeper in Training....
May 13, 2003
Midlothian, TX
dodaniel.tripod.com
I live in Midlothian, the self proclaimed cement capital of Texas, there is an abundance of white rock in our area, so much so that no one has to water thier foundations because they will not settle. Is this limestone, and is it safe for aquarium use. Also will this significantly raise the ph levels of my aquarium?

Timmain42

Disturbed Quasi-Genius
Jan 4, 2002
D/FW, TEXAS
www.xmenclan.org
Take some white vineagar and pour a couple of teaspoons on the rock. If it bubbles, it's no good for your tank.

As far as the pH question, I couldn't begin to know unless we made specific ID on the rock. But I don't live too incredibly far from you and I wouldn't trust local rocks in my tanks.

If you like, find a landscaping company who can provide you with aquarium-level rocks for pennies on the pound (and keep you from having to pay LFS prices). I see unbleached holey rock every day on my way to work, sitting in a landerscaper's supply yard.

dave76

May 13, 2003
Midlothian, TX
dodaniel.tripod.com
thanks for the info is there any place locally that you would suggest?

dave76

May 13, 2003
Midlothian, TX
dodaniel.tripod.com
that looks like something that you picked up at a landscaping comany, the rock I am talking about has no holes in it but looks similar and is found just about anywhere in the town I live in as long as you look under the ground.

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
If you are looking to supplement the live rock in your tank, you want rock that is very porous. Solid rock, like granite, will not contribute a great deal of surface area for bacteria to colonize, and will reduce the space available for other, more porous rocks. These denser rocks also contribute to the overall weight of the system, which can cause a problem.

Also--having it bubble doesn't necessarily exclude it from a SW system. Carbonates, like crushed coral, help buffer pH to the appropriate level. The acid test is helpful for items going into FW low pH tanks, not so much with high pH tanks--including SW, BW and FW African cichlid tanks.

Daverman

AC Members
Texas Holey Rock can be a reasonable and affordable alternative. The only problem is that it's too dense. Texas holey rock can be 5 times heavier than the FIji live rock with the same size. If this doesn't matter to you, go for it! Holey rock has a limited buffering capability. It will not significantly raise the pH level, but help maintain the pH. One warining: Some of Texas holey rocks contain iron (in an oxidized form). You need to be cautious unless you want to see many undesirable brown and green algaes thrive in your tank. Hope this helps.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store