The Biggest Marine Noob EVER (Me lol) Need help and questions about starting marine..

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Mantis_22

Blue Dreams Webmaster
Mar 24, 2003
Somerset, KY
www.blueskyff.s5.com
Ok heres the deal, me being so confident I am now wanting to move onto bigger and more challenging things than freshwater tanks. I want Saltwater !!! LoL, Anyways now passing up the glory can anyone give me links, informations, do's/donts on how to start a saltwater tank. I have my mind set on only 2 fish. I just want 2 clownfish and thats it. I may start with a 10gl tank since Im so used to them in size yet I may just use my old 20 gl tank. Can someone help me out and list everything I need to get started. Alone all the tricks and stuff to maintenance it all. I know its going to be a nice experience when I get it started.

VoodooChild

Kissin' the Sky
Dec 17, 2001
MN
Visit site
Use the 20.
Good protein skimmer (Prizms are cheap and good)
20+ lbs of Live Rock (buy online)
40 or so pounds of Southdown sand or similar
2 powerheads, for a total turnover of 7X+
Hood
Light fixture, but nothing special if you don't have corals
Two smaller heaters, say 50 w each

kreblak

FDA approval pending
Mar 13, 2003
Be sure to cycle the tank fishlessly with jumbo cocktail shrimp prior to adding fish. When your ammonia and nitrites are zero, your cycle is complete. Definately use the 20 gallon tank. Clowns get territorial unless they are a mated pair, and need their own space. Other than that, follow what Voodoo said, and make sure that you have plenty of surface agitation for oxygen exchange.

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
Also, avoid the larger clowns. Percula and clarkii's would be okay with a pair--get 2 that are the same size, and one will covert to female (getting much bigger).

Definitely go bigger--a larger tank is much more stable than a smaller one. I'd personally go with the 20, and use a 10 as a sump, just to increase the colume. Keep in mind that not only will nitrogen cycles be more concentrated in a smaller tnak, but the evaporation from a small tank causes big changes to the salinity. A small tank that drops a gallon is in trouble--a bigger tank doesn't vary much with the same loss.

Ray Pollett

AC Members
Jun 6, 2003
Blaine, WA
Visit site
First thing is invest in a good book or two. " the Conscentious Marine Aquarist" by Robert Fenner or "Natural Reef Aquariums" by John H. Tullock.

Most Clown fish grow to 3 1/2 to 5 inches. I would use atleast a 20 gallon tank for two.

If all you want to keep is two clowns the tank can be fairly simple. Buy some play sand at a store like Lowe's or Home Depot. Put in about a 2-3 inch layer. Add about 20-30 pounds of Live Rock. Put a Hang on the Back filter ( I prefer the Emperor Line) or use a canister if you have either type from your freshwater tank.

Let the tank cycle as described with a couple of shrimp from the supermarket. When cycled add the two clowns. Do water changes weekly and add the light you used for freshwater( The Light should go on from the Begining).

If you do regular water changes and maintenance on the filter; you should be fine. A protien skimmer is not needed for the tank you want.

Ray

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store