Do you go fishing?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

psariandras

AC Members
May 18, 2007
do you keep fish as pets and go sport fishing also? Some people argue that sport fishing is cruel, others that it is okay.

I used to go sport fishing when I was younger, not sure if I am right or not but I feel different about it now.

Generally it seems people assert that using fish to cycle tanks if you know they will die is wrong or not taking care of fish is wrong, so is sport fishing wrong? I mean even if you are catch and releasing the bait fish are going to die.

If you have a tank full of small fish and then when you go sport fishing with minnows or some bait that resembles your pet fish, does it make you feel sorry for the fish you catch or use as bait?

I am not trying to assert a view either way, but I am curious to know what other peeps think about it.

KingOfTheDeep

All Hail The King
Nov 2, 2005
New York City
Real Name
Dan
i go fishing just about every night..most people who keep fish are also fisherman..cant say i feel sorry for the bait or fish i use though..i fish strictly catch and realease unless its a record catch, and i use pre-killed bait and plastics

TropicalNorth

Bligh..The Demander Of Attention..
Jun 9, 2006
North Queensland, Australia
I go fishing pretty often and enjoy it, but I'm not a huge fan of trophy fishing (like marlin). I fish mainly just because I like to eat fresh fish and because I just like being out on the ocean; dolphins, turtles, blue sky, scenery I could go on forever :).

Sometimes I feel sorry for the fish but I figure its no different to a predator, like a shark, killing and eating them so I don't think it's cruel.

J double R

The Devil
Jan 13, 2007
Louisiana
Real Name
Jon
been a fisherman LONG before i was a fishkeeper.

and yes, sometimes, i'll eat my catch. otherwise, it goes back.

Coler

AC Members
Jan 30, 2007
well...sometimes I like to hook a toaster up to the cigarette lighter in my car and toss it in a stream.

does that count ?

S.A.

WHY? Cuz I can...
Oct 19, 2005
Yes we fish :) I find it to be even more relaxing than watching my tanks:)

We catch and release, unless it is a sizable trout. Then it goes well with steamed veggies and red potato.

Dangerdoll

Global Moderator
Aug 27, 2002
Roselle Park, NJ
aquariacentral.com
Real Name
Cori
I love fishing, freshwater, saltwater, anything that involves throwing the hook in the water. I've never eaten anything I've caught though, I always threw it back however, I hear fluke is pretty good and totally in season now.

Coler

AC Members
Jan 30, 2007
I like to catch them small, then keep them and feed them up into a huuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuge fish and then knock them on the head and have them mounted and then tell people I caught them like that.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store