white spots on tangs??

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

slugstheone

AC Members
Dec 8, 2002
Visit site
well here's the problem.
i have two tangs a purple and a kole(i think thats the name of it).both of them have developed whote spots on their bodies and some faded coloration.they both seem to be feeling pretty healthy and do not show any sluggishness or laziness.they both eat when feed and swim around just like they always have, so what could be the problem???i dont know. can anyone help me out here i am confused.my water is good i just tested it out and everything seems to be at normal levels.so what to do what to do??also i have other fish in the tank and they are just fine.it is only the tangs with the problems.

Kit Walker

AC Members
Jun 9, 2002
Australia
Visit site
From what I've gathered is it usually a sign that there is a water quality parameter which is not right. Tangs are usually the ones to show symptoms first, hence your other fish appear ok. This happened to me when my nitrates crept up. Only my blue Tang showed spots and faded blotches. This alerted me to a filtration problem. I recommend performing a partial water change until you can pinpoint the water quality problem.

kreblak

FDA approval pending
Mar 13, 2003
When you say "white spots" are you talking about pinhead sized white bumps on the fish's fins and body, or do you mean pale, colorless patches? If it's the former, then the fish has Ich, and needs treatment. Otherwise, color loss in tangs is usually the result of inadequate diet or poor water quality. Make sure the tang is getting enough algae and vitamin C, and check your nitrate levels.

MonoSebaelover

Anableps
Apr 20, 2001
Phoenix, AZ
www.shiredalefarm.com
Also are you sure the two tangs aren't fighting? Purples are very well known to be one of the most aggressive tangs available. What other tankmates are there? What size tank? I agree that if the tangs are fading it is either bad water quality or more likely a lack in their diets. I currently have a Blue Hippo Tang and Scopas and both get Dried Algae (Red, Brown, Green), Caluerpa, Uva (Sea Lettuce), Formula 2 (by Ocean Nutrition), Spiralina Form, among a couple of other things. Where are the tangs fading? Is it around the face and Lateral Line? If so it is Head and Lateral Line Erosion. Hope this helps and good luck with the tangs.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store