Parrot Fish

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

pmeadfournier

AC Members
Jun 17, 2007
:wall: Hi All,

I have 3 orange parrot fish. I bought them almost 2 weeks ago. They are scared to death of any movement in the room. If I walk into the room and or near their tank they crash around the tank like I'm trying to catch them. They hide in a corner high up near the top most of the time. They do come out to eat as long as I don't stay near the tank. When I bought them at the pet store they would come right up to the front of the tank when I walked up to it like they wanted me to feed them. The pet store owner said they did the same thing when she got them and it took them about a week to come around. She is willing to take them back if I am not happy but I love them. They are so pretty and shen they do move around I love watching them. Any Advice on how to get them out of their shell?

wataugachicken

The Dancing Banana
Jul 14, 2005
Charlotte, NC
they may be stressed from other things, and just showing it by their reaction to you.
what did you do to set the tank up before the fish got there?
do you test your water for ammonia or anything else?
have you learned about the cycling process?
do you do water changes on your tank?
do you add chemicals to the water?
what size tank do you have, and what other fish are in there?

the fish may be feeling sick from bad water, and this is why they are hiding instead of behaving like normal (healthy) fish.

pmeadfournier

AC Members
Jun 17, 2007
Before them i had 2 convicts that were having fry. The female died so I brought the male back to the store as I was unable to get a female for him very easily.
I do test my water and it is right where it should be.
I have not done a water change because my levels are so good. Should I be?
I add no chemicals to my tank.
29 gallon long - Parrot Fish and a irradescent shark 5 inches long.

Firebelly__girl

AC Members
Apr 29, 2007
I would give them time, my cousins parrot fish follows me around the room, if I walk to the right, he follows me and looks straight in my face lmao I love that little guy! Yes you should be doing water changes also, with the gravel vac! Whats the temperature? Its not to low is it? Low temps make my piranhas more figity of me walking by the tank.

chadly831

chadly
May 13, 2007
massachusetts
i have 2 blood parrots i have had the for 6 months and now they are starting to come out alot but still are afraid of quick actions. they are awsome to watch

wataugachicken

The Dancing Banana
Jul 14, 2005
Charlotte, NC
even if you have no ammonia and no nitrites, you should still do regular water changes on your tank to get rid of nitrates and mineral buildup. if you have not been doing them at all, start slowly, about 10-15% every day for a week, then the next week do two 25% changes, then you can start a regular weekly schedule of 50% or so.

severum mama

is a big bowl of wrong.
Dec 30, 2006
North GA
I agree. Also, do you have plenty of caves or other hiding places? That will make them feel more comfortable.

Unfortunately, these fish will quickly outgrow a 29 gallon. I'd say a 75 gallon would be a minimum tank size for them as adults, and that's not even counting the iridescent shark.

Corvina

Registered Member
Mar 31, 2007
Give them some plants & hiding places. Some floating plants will also help.
They will adapt to their new home soon if you leave things in the tank in the same positions for some time. :)

tjr635

AC Members
Jun 4, 2006
wish i had pics , when i bought my 55 gal , had 2 palm or better size parrot fish an a common 12 pleco, therev was no hiding due to the pleco . it was an open tank. they seemed to like human movement ,. the week i had them they where out an about, i sold them to my LFS, an Grins can attest to the fact they where huge, as she saw they at the LFS. i would say give them time , give them places to hide , an most of all stand in front of the tank at feeding time , they will get used to you beening there , an maybe a small tap at feeding time to let them know it that time to eat

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store