How do you get your live rock purple?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Batmanjay28

AC Members
Aug 22, 2006
Oregon
How do you get your live rock purple? I know that the purple that happens to show up is corraline algae, but don't know how to get me rocks that color.

I have 55G tank with 75lbs of live rock, with Nova Extreme T-5 Fixtures w/Lunar Lights. I have about 4WPG over the tank. SO what so I need to do to get the corraline algae? Thanks

SHK_ATK

Clam Chowda
Nov 4, 2006
(805)-CA (336)-NC
ive have used P-up I dont know how I feel about it though I started using it when I 1st began adding corals to the tank, I noticed the coraline algae start growing but then again I was adding Ca. Plus I had a urchin who ate the coraline, I havent used it since.

fsn77

AC Moderators
Staff member
Feb 22, 2006
SC
Proper calcium, alkalinity, and magnesium levels will promote coralline algae growth. Other than that, it takes a bit of time. If the lighting on your tank is too intense for some of the corallines, it'll show up on the underside of rocks near the lip of a cave first, then spread as it adjusts to the intensity of your light.

I'd avoid Purple Up... it's completely overpriced for what it does.

BadRoma1

AC Members
Nov 29, 2005
fsn77 is right. also you can seed coraline faster by introdusing a rock with coraline on it. i just set up a new tank about 3 months ago and coraline took off and spreading all over with introduction of several rocks incrusted with coraline. another tank i had for over 2 years and still can't get coraline growing everywhere.

Riverserver

i r 2pro4u
Apr 13, 2007
And if you don't want to wait for it, buy good quality rock. All of the live rock I bought came 100% covered in coraline.

Pallen81

TheSunCoralTamer
Jun 20, 2006
Lawrenceville, NJ
www.mygodmusic.com
I agree with the above....

it doesn't take too long (a few months) before coraline algae goes nuts. especially the purple in my case.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store