Brackish Algae Eater

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

headcougar

Goby Wrangler
May 6, 2007
I wondering if anyone knew of a good brackish water algae eater. I have two apple snails in a 55 gallon tank but they aren't doing the job. They had survived for some time but need some genuine help.

Thanks in advance.

The brackish tank is the 55 gallon from my signature block.

Ruben Tolon

last of a dying breed
Aug 20, 2000
Miami, FL
a trusty algae scrubber is always a better idea than adding to the bioload for the sole purpose of algae removal.

Sir Pufferfish

AC Members
Apr 11, 2005
UK
I believe apple snails are only suitable for freshwater.
the only snails that will survive in brackish water are Nerite snails but if you
have algae problem as most people with b tanks does, dont expect them to be the solution.
Mollies also eat algea but again, they wont keep algae at bay.

If your salinity is low, try filling the tank with vallis / or jarva fern plants to combat the algea or reduce the amount of time the light is on,
people also swear that turning the light on for a few hours then off for one hour, then repeating process also stops algae growth ( something to do with stoping photosynthesis ) but i personally never tried that.

vampie

AC Members
Oct 25, 2006
New York, NY
I've heard of people successfully keeping certain apple snails in brackish, but I've never done it myself. Mystery and Giant Ramshorns are the ones I've heard about. MTS can also live in brackish water (and even saltwater I believe), but their algae-eating capability are limited.

At lower salinities, you could add plants. If it's on the higher end, you can look into some marine inverts.

Pufferpunk

AC Members
Mar 22, 2002
Chicago
www.thepufferforum.com
Real Name
Jeni
As far as I know, FW snails like apples, will get burned by salt, just like you put salt on a leech (ever did that when you were little?). Looking at your tank inhabitants, you are mixing tropical BW, FW & coldwater fish. You really need 3 different tanks for those. You should house ther goldfish alone. That tank is overstocked. I would imagine if your snails are still alive, there isn't enough salt in the water to make it brackish. Eventually, the Columbian sharks will need a much bigger tank. The needlefish will eventually get eaten by the gobies or Colmbian sharks.

severum mama

is a big bowl of wrong.
Dec 30, 2006
North GA
Are you even using marine salt for this "brackish" tank? Aquarium salt does not make a tank brackish.

IMO you need at least 4 tanks to house what you have... the African cichlids have absolutely no business in a 20 gallon, and especially not with any other fish. The goldfish alone is too much for a 20, and should not be kept in a tropical tank. Convicts are not BW fish. Columbian sharks get huge. I'll just stop there and say I agree with everyone else. In the future, please research fish before you purchase them.

headcougar

Goby Wrangler
May 6, 2007
LOL. Well considering the newest inhabitant is three months old and the Africans have been co-located with the Goldfish for over a year. I would say not all rules are hard rules.

I have two extremely happy families with zero (0) loss in two and a half years. I think the Africans are due a new home and definitely consult this forum when setting up that new tank.

Given some thought, I believe the no new bioload to combat algae comment rings true with me and I will vary light input and use my brush on a more frequent basis.

Thank you for all the comments. I don't take the comments about the mixing lightly as I believe everyone has the welfare of my babies in mind.

Lupin

Registered Member
Sep 21, 2006
Lupin Information Super Highway/Goldfish Informati
thegab.org
Real Name
Paul
Convicts in a brackish tank?
Good call. Best not to place them in brackish conditions. Also, note that cons tend to be very belligerent and the other fish will not tolerate being harassed.

Ruben Tolon

last of a dying breed
Aug 20, 2000
Miami, FL
other than the columbian sharks, the 55 gallon tank might as well be converted back to freshwater rather than brackish.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store