sick oto!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Aeris

AC Members
Jul 11, 2007
Hi, I'm not sure if my otocinclus is dying or not. I moved him from a 30 gallon tank that had 5 goldfish to a 135 gallon tank with some catfish, the catfish seem to be doing fine, but my otocinclus has been acting weird as of today, he's just lying down on a rock and not moving much. He has always had this light reddish color around his gills, but it seems a bit darker.

We're having a heat wave right now, and it's over 36 degrees (celsius) outside. I have turned off the heater in the tank because it was up to 80 degrees (F).

He's been in the tank for over a week now, and he's just suddenly acting like this.

Does anyone know what's wrong with him?

Aeris

AC Members
Jul 11, 2007
Wow that's pretty hot, and I was worried the heat was getting to it =_= at least it's not that ^^ thanks

mellowvision

Seafood Lover
May 17, 2007
Brooklyn NY
www.mellowvision.com
Real Name
Bill Brissette
might be lack of oxygen... the heat will drop the o2 levels... is it simply redder, or is it red like blood? one of my otos looked like he had two nike-swoosh looking spots that were bright red... and I attributed it to a run in with the crab... but he's fine now after 3 weeks

NeonJulie

Worlds' Worst Mafia Voter
Nov 13, 2006
Everett, WA
When my smaller, weaker one goes still, I panic, and then I:

Do a careful water change, 33-50%.

Increase agitation, lower the tank level for more splash, etc. (I always have a bubbler going opposite the filter.)

Dim the lighting in the tank/room.

Throw enticing food at it, zucchini, cukecumbers, spinach.

Don't add things like medications, or other additives for some time.

It could certainly be a lack of oxygen in the warmer temps - Otos apparently come from strong rivers where bubbly water is flowing over them, and as a result, they love currents and require plenty oxygen.

Hope the best for your Oto. Also, does it have friends?

Aeris

AC Members
Jul 11, 2007
The red color doesn't look like blood, it's a light reddish color. I put two air stones in the tank, turned off the lights in the room, so hopefully that'll help it out.

Every time I put in a cucumber in there the oto doesn't seem to eat it. Am I supposed to boil the cucumber?

I just scared myself, went to go check on it and it was lying weirdly on a plant that was stuck on a filter intake, thought it was dying on it, but I think it just likes being on it. After I moved the plant around a bit to see if it was dying, he just kept moving around to stick onto the plant.

My oto DID have some friends, but I bought a bad batch of oto from a pet shop, and they died. One of the lasted for around 9 days, it schooled with my oto too, but just died two days ago. Talked to the pet shop about it, and they said that that batch kept dying too, so I hope it's not my tank that's killing them.

ct-death

Fish & Visitors Smell in 3 Days...
Feb 27, 2007
New Hampshire
Otos are notorous for having a very high mortality rate -- Try getting Otos that a LFS has had for more than 2 weeks. Its a result of how they are harvested in the wild (they use cyonide to poison them which causes them to be temporarily paralized and float to the surface perminanently damaging their organs :()

Otos also prefer to be in groups (4 is Ideal, but not usually practical); however, in a well established 135G tank - WOW - you could certainly enjoy a small group of Otos! :D

The also need a well established tank to survive. It takes time for Otos to 'learn' to eat fish food such as algae wafers or our food such as cucumbers (blanching veggies will help BTW)

Lastly, what are your water readings in both tanks?

FYI - I have Otos in all of my tanks, and my temps range from 75 (shrimp tank) up to ~86 in my Cichlid tank

Fangirl

AC Members
Jan 14, 2005
Tennessee
I feel your pain. I have had a lot of otos and they just don't seem to hang around too long. One little guy died a couple of weeks ago after about 6 months in the tank. I only have one REALLY fat one left. Every time I think he's gone too, he reappears. Sometimes I go a couple of weeks without seeing him. He's been in there for over a year. I am beginning to suspect that he is a serial killer and simply "knocks off" his competition.

ct-death

Fish & Visitors Smell in 3 Days...
Feb 27, 2007
New Hampshire
I feel your pain. I have had a lot of otos and they just don't seem to hang around too long. One little guy died a couple of weeks ago after about 6 months in the tank.
This is very common as well, probably a result of the shortened life-span caused from the poisoning... :(

As for 'serial killer Otos', I'm not sure about that one! LoL

...but I DO have a rather large Angel that could eaisly eat my smaller Otos.... :eek:

Aeris

AC Members
Jul 11, 2007
Well, I checked up on him this morning, and he looks worse than before :( The reddish tinge that is around his gill/head area is now starting to show up around his abdomen...the last oto that died also had this reddish tinge show up around his abdomen a few hours before he died :(

I took some pictures with my cell phone camera to help illustrate what he looks like:

oto1.JPG

oto2.JPG

The reddish tinge does not show up that well in these photos, but they are definitely more pronounced in real life. I wasnt able to take a picture of him when he was on the glass, as that would show the red areas more visibly...he has been sitting on the rock for a while now :( He occasionally will dart around to chase a few neon tetras or briefly latch on to a plant, but will then return to the rock.

As my last oto exhibited these same signs before he died, I'm afraid this one will die too :(

oto1.JPG oto2.JPG

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store