What is a great anemone partner for a clownfish?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

biggy_mack

AC Members
Jul 10, 2007
From what i have read and understand about this subject is that most Anemones are wild caught and should stay in the ocean. You should really consider how you are affecting the oceans ecosystem especially in this hoppy. Think of the Clown fish in the wild that died because its host is no longer there. That being said i really what one too but am holding off until i find one that is tank propped and my system is fully mature. This is my oppinion i'll someone else who knows more tell you which ones are best.

Last edited:

Subliminal

AC Members
Feb 21, 2007
Princeton, NJ
From what i have read and understand about this subject is that most Anemones are wild caught and should stay in the ocean. You should really consider how you are affecting the oceans ecosystem especially in this hoppy. Think of the Clown fish in the wild that died because its host is no longer there. That being said i really what one too but am holding off until i find one that is tank propped and my system is fully mature. This is my oppinion i'll someone else who knows more tell you which ones are best.
My anemone is about a 12th generation split from a guy in NYC who said his split several times a year. They don't necessarily all 'come from the ocean'...their ancesestors might have, but tank raised examples are definitely out there. I do agree with the second part of your post, though...you should always wait till your tank is good and stabilized before picking up an anemone.

I'm, personally, partial to bubble tips. Mine's been really easy to care for, and is my favorite tank inhabitant...I just hope he stays small enough to fit in my 29g. ;)

Catpicklesdog

Hindsight is a wonderful thing!
Feb 25, 2007
Telford, UK
Real Name
Alison
I like bubble tips as well and am seriously thinking of getting one for my clown who has hosted one before (pesky phosphates!!) one thing you must remember - there is no guarantee that a clown will host an anemone especially if the clown is tank bred as it's not likely to have seen an anemone in it's entire life. However- I was with my LFS experimenting with a tank bred clown and a BT and it was amazing to watch the clown over the course of an hour swiming around the BT and inspecting it and finally diving into it. I think with some you get some kind of in-bred knowledge.

Almondsaz

AC Members
May 26, 2007
My clowns started to bond with my torch coral....was a bit shortlived. Seemed to last about a week, so maybe it was just food left over in the torch :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store