Good News Bad News or Don't You Hate It When...

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Nolapete

Monster Tank Builder
May 29, 2007
New Orleans, LA
Don't you hate it when you get the "feeling" you need to do something and the thought slips by without you taking action? Well, I had the feeling I needed to go check on the dwarf gouramis I had setup to breed last night and that very thing happened. I ended up going to bed without checking on them.

I didn't look too closely this morning because I was getting ready for work, but I'm assuming that they spawned last night. This morning the female was beat to within a 1/4 inch of her life. I honestly don't think she's going to make it as she's missing at least one eye and wasn't moving that much. She can still swim, so I moved her to the QT/hospital tank.

It sucks being out of practice as I'm usually very good about removing the females after they spawn. In fact, so good that I've never had a female beaten like this one before. This of course was the bad news.

The good news is the brutal male has continued to maintain the best bubble nest I've ever seen in the many times I've bred gouramis. I'll be sure to take a few pics when I get home as I forgot to do that as well.

The pearl gouramis I set up have done nothing, so the male is going back in the 110 and the females are going in the 90. I've found that conditioning them separated usually helps to motivate them to spawn.

rwilliams254

AC Members
May 16, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
<insert a Sean Connery comment here>

(Just Kidding!!!...for all those on the high horse)

wataugachicken

The Dancing Banana
Jul 14, 2005
Charlotte, NC
sorry to hear about your female.

any thoughts on whether male aggression/defense of the spawning area is related to the maintenance of the nest as well?

247Plants

Plant Obsessed
Mar 23, 2007
eastside LBC
Wow...Sorry for your loss.....

I keep my males and females together 24/7 in my 60 gallon without any aggression.

Good luck!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store