20 gallon long paludarium?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

RabbitMage

AC Members
Jul 11, 2007
Is it possible? I happen to have one sitting around that's got a small chip in an upper corner-it's structurally sound but I don't want it full of water, just in case.

I've been wanting to do one for a long time...is it possible to make one in such a small tank? If it is, what sort of critters could I keep in that sort of space?

Thanks yet again-everyone here's been so helpful!

RabbitMage

AC Members
Jul 11, 2007
Or, you know, I could read the other threads!

Mostly at this point I'm concerned about livestock. I'd like to have some small fish, and then some...frogs? Newts? Lizards? What would work in that kind of space and still be good for a first time herp keeper?

legendaryfrog

Tactical Refreshment Action
Nov 25, 2006
arlington heights - hoffman estates, IL
your 20g tank would be perfect for a vivarium!

Since your a begginer, I would recommend the firebelly newts. They have a lot of personality, are cheap to maintain, and are easy to care for.

The tank would be half filled with water, with a water portion larger than the land. No heater would be needed, as they like they're water at around 70*. They can be fed varietys of insects, live or freeze dried.

heres a good guide: http://www.grizzlyrun.com/Pets/Amphibians/Newts/Fire_Bellied_Newt/Default.htm

legendaryfrog

Nov 25, 2006
I should add that in your vivarium, it would be very hard to house both fish and reptiles; there simply isnt enough space.

RabbitMage

AC Members
Jul 11, 2007
Aww, I like 'em! I'm going to start doing some research and looking at some newt set ups. Thanks for the link to get me started!

JoeRags3

AC Members
Jan 11, 2006
Millstone Township, NJ
Try goin to Caudata.org for more FBN info and set-up ideas. They will be very happy in a 20 long. As for fish, the only thing that would be ok for a FBN setup are White Cloud Minnows. But it all depends on how much room will you are goin to have as your water setup.

mellowvision

Seafood Lover
May 17, 2007
Brooklyn NY
www.mellowvision.com
Real Name
Bill Brissette
if you want to retain a lot of water to have room for fish, you could build a shelf in the tank to create the land mass in. this is what I am doing with a 15 gallon tall tank I have, that will have 9-10 gallons of water when I am all done. this will give me room for a selection of creatures... small ones, but a few anyway.

legendaryfrog

Nov 25, 2006
cant wait for some pics. I wouldnt suggest keeping any fish with the fire-bellies. It would be hard to give the fish enough space, and the firebellies would eat them.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store