Amano Shrimp question...with a Black Snail question thrown in for flavor!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

scampyfan

AC Members
Feb 15, 2007
seattle
Amano shrimp first.
i have about 4 amano shrimp in a 20G tank, 2 adults and too tiny guys. I was under the impression that amano shrimp require specific environments to breed, involving possibly brackish or salt water (i don't even remember where i read this.) Now, one of my adults' little legs has become full of eggs...and really FULL...my question is this: is this common, and the eggs won't hatch unless in the right conditions, or was i sold some other shrimp type that was labeled Amano?

Black Mystery Snail:
i have 2 in the same tank...and they keep burying themselves in the sand for a few hours at a time and then go on their merry way. is this normal? or is this saying something to me (water quality, food availability, whatever.) i'm taking it as a funky behavioral quirk, but i don't want to miss a warning sign of something i can fix.

thats all for now! hope someone out there can educate me :)

pixl8r

MacroShrimpBreeder
May 11, 2007
Utah
1. It is common for Amano shrimp to produce eggs in fresh water (that is how it's done in nature). The eggs will also hatch in fresh water. Amano shrimp do not need brackish water to produce eggs, however, the larva require brackish to full sea water to mature through the various larval stages. They also require marine green water to feed on. Without pictures it's impossible to say that you were sold another species mislabeled as Amano shrimp.

2. I have Ivory, gold, and black (banded) Mystery snails. I've never noticed mine behaving that way. But I don't know much about snails, so it could be normal behavior. If you're worried, check the water parameters. They need a good amount of calcium so if your substrate is high in calcium (coral) and their diet is lacking, they may be seeking to supplement their diet.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store