Red tailed shark in my aquarium

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

beastie_boy

AC Members
May 20, 2003
Leeds
My aquarium consists of three neons, two X-ray Tetras, 9 silvertip Tetras and one Male Betta.

I was wondering if I can introduce a very small red tailed black shark. I know there probably won't be any trouble at the start but as the shark will outgrow the other fish will it decide to eat the tetras on realiseing it's bigger.

thanks

Winnie

AC Members
I wouldn't worry about the small fish. Red Tail Sharks come out of their cave (very important to provide it with a cave or hidey-hole it likes) and chase other fish, but mine has never actually attacked. I would be more worried about the slow-moving frilly betta sharing space with the RTS, but perhaps someone with experience here will answer you.
Mine LOVES living in a black plastic plumbing elbow thingie disguised with some rocks around it and a flat rock on top. I went to the store and bought an assortment of these little plumbing things and rinsed them off well. All the bottom dwelling fish adore them.

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
How big is your tank? I don't see any compatibility issues, though the shark will chase anyone who comes into his turf. It's very important to provide them with a cave of their own. The biggest concern would be long term care--if this is anything smaller than a 29, I wouldn't add the shark.

clayt101

Registered Abuser
I have had lots of compatibility problems with RTBS and bettas. The betta always being the loser:(

dbcb314

Hates the Overstocking Police
Apr 12, 2003
Indiana
Visit site
I have an uncle who kept a rts with his small tetras and it ruined his tank. the rts dominated the tank, forcing everything else to hide.

i had an rts with cichlids and bigger fish only, but he really never hid in a cave. he just swam around chasing anything that was smaller than it

vaheelsfan

AC Members
May 23, 2003
Stuarts Draft, VA
Visit site
I have a 55 gallon with a red tail shark, 3 algae eaters, 3 cories, 5 buenos aries tetras, 2 glolight tetras, 2 black neon tetras, 4 pearl danios, and 1 green barred danio. I have a long flat rock sitting on 2 rocks to form a cave like space for my red tail, and usually he stays on one side and an algae eater stays on the other. I bought the 4 pearl danios a couple of days ago and they're pretty small (1/2") and the shark hasn't bothered them. He'll chase an algae eater that comes too close to him when he's chilling in his home or one will try to chase him if he's too close to them, but other than that he pretty much seems to keep to himself, even when he's out roaming about the aquarium. I've never seen him bother any other fish but the algae eaters, who are roughly the same size (2-2 1/2"), so maybe he just is bothered by ones who are a threat to his "dominance" or something. Hope that helps.

sinistersaint

AC Members
Mar 11, 2009
Tampa, FL
i have a 20 gallon tank with 2 algae eaters, 2 black phantom tetras, 2 cardinal tetras, 1 neon tetra, 5 tiger barbs, 2 peppered corys, and 1 dwarf gourami

should i get a red tail shark

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store