Proper way to introduce new fish to an aquarium

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

James0816

AC Members
Feb 14, 2007
I figured the noob board would be the best place to ask this....so...really....what is the utmost best way to introduce new fishies into the aquarium. I do it by letting the bag sit for about 15 mins and then puncturing it and letting it all drain out into the tank. Is this good or should I be doing something completely different to ensure safety of the tank (as far as its other occupants)?

thx

Impudence12

Broke Aquarist
Jul 3, 2007
Charlotte, NC
This is what the LFS requires in order to get the Guarntee. Stolen from http://www.fintastic.us/articles/acclimation.html

I think it's alittle excessive tho. I typically just let it sit, then add some water maybe once or twice.

1. Turn off aquarium lights.
  2. Dim the lights in the room where the shipping bag will be opened. Never open the bag in bright light - severe stress or trauma may result from sudden exposure to bright light.
  3. Float the sealed bag in the aquarium for 15 minutes (Fig. A). Never open the shipping bag at this time. This step allows the water in the shipping bag to adjust slowly to the temperature in the aquarium, while maintaining a high level of dissolved oxygen.
  4. After floating the sealed shipping bag for 15 minutes, cut open the bag just under the rubber band (Fig. B) and roll the top edge of the bag down one inch to create an air pocket within the lip of the bag.

This will enable the bag to float on the surface of the water (Fig. C). For heavy pieces of live coral that will submerge the shipping bag, place the bag containing the coral in a plastic bowl or specimen container.
  5. Add 1/2 cup (small bags) or 1 cup (8" or greater bags) of aquarium water to the shipping bag (Fig. D).
  6. Repeat step 5 every five minutes until the shipping bag is full.
  7. Lift the shipping bag from the aquarium and discard half the water from the bag (Fig. E).
  8. Float the shipping bag in the aquarium again and proceed to add 1/2 cup (small bags) or 1 cup (8" or greater bags) of aquarium water to the shipping bag every five minutes until the bag is full.
  9. Net aquatic life from the shipping bag and release into the aquarium (Fig. F).
  10. Remove the filled shipping bag from the aquarium and discard the water. Never release shipping water directly into the aquarium.

Hooked Newbie

Today will be yesterday tomorrow
May 25, 2007
Georgia
Real Name
Len
The method that I use was recommended to me here.

1. I clip the bag to float in the tank for 15 - 20 minutes.
2. I then add tank water (about 25% of the amount of water in the bag).
3. I give it another 15 minutes or so and add 25% more tank water.
4. I then give it another 10 minutes or so and place a fish net over a bucket.
5. Then I pour the water and fish into the net (Be care ful with otos and they like (They tend to stick to the bag).
6. Then I put the fish into the tank.

It may be slight overkill, but I think it's safest and I don't want any LFS water in my tanks for fear of diseases.

jpappy789

Plants need meat too
Feb 18, 2007
Gainesville, FL
Real Name
Josh
There really isn't an easy answer. A lot of people do it differently. You for sure need to let the bag float for about 20 min so the temp equalizes. Some people say add water from your tank some say it doens't matter. Most will say don't let any water from the bag get into your tank, but I'm clumsy and I usually end up pouring the whole bag into my tank (oops!). I trust my lfs. So far no problems...

Hooked Newbie

Today will be yesterday tomorrow
May 25, 2007
Georgia
Real Name
Len
This is what the LFS requires in order to get the Guarntee. Stolen from http://www.fintastic.us/articles/acclimation.html

I think it's alittle excessive tho. I typically just let it sit, then add some water maybe once or twice.

1. Turn off aquarium lights.
  2. Dim the lights in the room where the shipping bag will be opened. Never open the bag in bright light - severe stress or trauma may result from sudden exposure to bright light.
  3. Float the sealed bag in the aquarium for 15 minutes (Fig. A). Never open the shipping bag at this time. This step allows the water in the shipping bag to adjust slowly to the temperature in the aquarium, while maintaining a high level of dissolved oxygen.
  4. After floating the sealed shipping bag for 15 minutes, cut open the bag just under the rubber band (Fig. B) and roll the top edge of the bag down one inch to create an air pocket within the lip of the bag.

This will enable the bag to float on the surface of the water (Fig. C). For heavy pieces of live coral that will submerge the shipping bag, place the bag containing the coral in a plastic bowl or specimen container.
  5. Add 1/2 cup (small bags) or 1 cup (8" or greater bags) of aquarium water to the shipping bag (Fig. D).
  6. Repeat step 5 every five minutes until the shipping bag is full.
  7. Lift the shipping bag from the aquarium and discard half the water from the bag (Fig. E).
  8. Float the shipping bag in the aquarium again and proceed to add 1/2 cup (small bags) or 1 cup (8" or greater bags) of aquarium water to the shipping bag every five minutes until the bag is full.
  9. Net aquatic life from the shipping bag and release into the aquarium (Fig. F).
  10. Remove the filled shipping bag from the aquarium and discard the water. Never release shipping water directly into the aquarium.

Beat me to it, but I like that method! Especially for fish that aren't easily acclimated.

davexstumpe

AC Members
Mar 8, 2007
i stay away from putting any of the LFS's water into my tank, never know what deseases could be in there.

I used to use the drip method, but now i just net and drop into the tank.

Funny thing is, since i've started this net and drop method, i have yet to lose 1 fish , and i've added about 12.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store