River driftwood....safe for aquarium?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Cory Lover

AC Members
Oct 8, 2006
B.C. Canada
Hey fellow ACers!

Ok, so I found a piece of nice driftwood kicking around my house and I decided it may be a nice addition for my tank. I sunned it for a couple months of my deck in summer time, then I soaked and soaked and soaked it for a while in a container and changed the water often. Then I thought to myself "Maybe this isn't safe for my tank....what happens if it posions my fish?". So I whimped out a never put it in my tank. I got my courage back this year and put it in the oven at 350F to clean it. When I got it out I found out it was originally a piece of a Cedar Tree (because all the heat made it smell).

So...my question is is it safe for my aquarium? I heard Cedar sometimes leaks toxins? Is that true?

Thanks

CL

J double R

The Devil
Jan 13, 2007
Louisiana
Real Name
Jon
i don't feel that the website in post #2 is accurate. i think in order to make cedar wood safe you would have to go through some pretty drastic measures in excess of what they mention to make it safe.

jm, not everything has mosquito spray on it. ;)

read the article in my sig to find out more about treating driftwood.. although i don't recommend cedar in any capacity for any tank.

J double R

The Devil
Jan 13, 2007
Louisiana
Real Name
Jon
better safe than sorry, you can find plenty of wood that IS suitable for your tank... i mean.. look at all the trees. we're not running out of driftwood anytime soon. :D

good luck.

lousybreed

Aquaria Central Site Controller
Sep 7, 2004
Bay Area, CA
I say go for it....I got some wood from the forest one day and used it in my aquarium. It got fuzzy for a while but the plecos loved what ever it was and in about 2 weeks I had some of the best drift wood around....all for free. If the wood is weathered and in a clean area away from farms I say go for it. Remember wood falls into rivers and lakes all the time, its natural. As long as the wood isn't fresh its generally good for aquariums.

I have been using forest wood for 4 years now and not a single problem so I think its safe. With 20 plus pieces used and no problems I don't think it is luck......do what you think is best!

lousybreed

Aquaria Central Site Controller
Sep 7, 2004
Bay Area, CA
I guess that was my point, I didn't even take time to identify the wood. Most of the old weathered stuff looks the same anyways. It's your call!!! Good luck!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store