Plumbing dual Eheim 2213s/dual Hydor ETH-200. Critique/assistance thread

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

DarkSoul

Mad Scientist
Mar 12, 2007
London, Ontario
With my background having failed miserably, though pretty as it was, I've decided to press on ahead anyway, and worry about a background later on.

The past few weeks, since my background was done, I have been playing around with the plumbing.
About a year and a half ago, when I took on this tank (and took a year or so off, where I did nothing with the tank) I decided I wanted to do it using PVC, at the time, I wasn't resourceful or knowledgeable enough to hunt down the parts that I would have needed.

Well, I have that knowledge, and the resources now to do it the way I wanted from the beginning, Although in the beginning I was only using one filter, and a submersible heater :)

This will be a bit of a drawn out project, as I have entered into a contract for purchasing a pump for my RO unit, and need to save the cash to pay for it.
On top of that, I will need to wait for most of the stuff I order, to arrive, since I have to buy most of it online, and it takes 8 days for an eCheck to clear etc.

That being said, I do have pics of what I've managed to achieve so far.

I am using the 5/8" model of Eheim installation kits 1 & 2. Which happen to have a 3/4" pipe thread when you unscrew its disconnect washer.
This allowed me to use a 3/4" PVC female connector, and a 3/4" x 1/2" reducer bushing to allow connection of 1/2" PVC.

Also, as it turns out, the 2213s and the Hydor use a 3/8" pipe thread, which was harder to find parts for, but I was able to find a 1/2" x 3/8" reducer bushing, which will allow me to screw on 1/2" PVC fittings.
I need to mention though, that the Hydor uses what seems to be a more "coarse" thread, and I didn't think a reducer bushing was going to fit on it, But it did, without causing nay thread damage. The 5/8" models of Hydor ETH should have a 1/2" thread, which would eliminate the need for reducers.... live & learn.... I pass my knowledge to you :D

This makes plumbing the two units together a fairly simple process, given that the parts can be found. Currently it is connected for pictures only, and I still need to find a couple of parts.

As you can see everything fits together nicely. I will have another set of disconnect valves connected to the filter intakes on the back, running straight up, into a T, and then into the intake in the aquarium.

My biggest problem here, and I'm hoping I can get some advice on this one, is how do I connect the outputs of the Hydors into a T without messing with the flow anymore than it currently is.

the two Hydors are close enough together that only 2 elbows would fit on top, and connect them together perfectly, with no room for a T in the middle.
This must be done with a T to ensure even water flow distribution.
I've had an idea using street elbows, which just might work.

So far, the things I still need are as follows.
1/2" SLIP x 1/2" FPT 45° PVC Elbow (2)
1/2" SLIP x 1/2" FPT Union (2)
More reducer bushings.

AnDr3w

AC Members
Apr 29, 2007
Ft. Lauderdale, Florida.
Thats a cool little thing.

In the last picture, what is the thing that is hooked up to the pvc but is NOT an eheim?

DarkSoul

Mad Scientist
Mar 12, 2007
London, Ontario
Thats a cool little thing.

In the last picture, what is the thing that is hooked up to the pvc but is NOT an eheim?
Looks like an inline heater...
the black thing, standing up, is a Hydor ETH-200.

There will be a second one, right beside it, once I purchase a second one.

DarkSoul

Mad Scientist
Mar 12, 2007
London, Ontario
its a heater :)
200W inline heater.

It keeps things out of my tank :D

reybie

AC Members
Feb 23, 2007
Cool setup DarkSoul, looks like something I can strap on my back and make me fly! :)

DarkSoul

Mad Scientist
Mar 12, 2007
London, Ontario
Cool setup DarkSoul, looks like something I can strap on my back and make me fly! :)

Ya I still havent figured out the gyro system yet.... this will double as an escape mechanism should the cops arrive :D

But seriously, I need to figure out some sort of housing for this, to make it kind of a modular dealy.

Ideally though, it will be connected so that I can have one canister completely removed from the setup, without interfering with the other one, or the heaters.

I will also need to have support under the output/heater assembly, otherwise the weight of the water in the pipes, and 2 heaters will pull it down.

AnDr3w

AC Members
Apr 29, 2007
Ft. Lauderdale, Florida.
What are the advantages of having the Eheims plugged together with the heater?

Just a cleaner look in the display tank?

DarkSoul

Mad Scientist
Mar 12, 2007
London, Ontario
What are the advantages of having the Eheims plugged together with the heater?

Just a cleaner look in the display tank?
the reason for doing it this way, was to overcome the head height.
I figured I would have more than 4' worth of head height, so instead of getting a water pump, I thought, what the hell, go buy another Eheim and Hydor, and connect them together.

I'm HOPING the two filters will not only provide excellent filtration, but ample output/throughput.

Thats why im trying to reduce the amount of bends and corners in the setup if possible, so as not to affect the flow rate so badly.

each filter is 116gph, so I should theroetically have 232gph of water flow, and 8' of head from the two units.
in reality, the two of them will most likely produce about 100gph..... I'm going to install a flowmeter though :D

using solid PVC keeps things from hanging around in any old fashion, possibly causing kinks and stuff in the hose.

but like I said, the main reason for two filters, was cause I needed to use a water pump to boost the output :) ... and then I realized I had room for two Hydors. So I've got a space to fill in lol.
I may still end up using one anyway.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store